Tub Mat on the Wall

Old 05-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Background to my post: Some of you know that I was unemployed for going on two years. My normal work is testing computer software. I finally got a two-month job - in California. I live in Pennsylvania, so the consulting company flew me out and has been putting me up in a hotel - a very good one, actually.

I really don't need to have my hotel room cleaned every day (and frankly, I can't afford to tip them just to empty trash and make the bed), so I usually put the Privacy sign on my door. Twice a week, I have them clean.

Today I got back from work, went to the bathroom, and was astonished to see they had taken the mat that keeps you from slipping in the tub and stuck it to the shower wall! Stuck it up by those sucker things on the bottom!

So I'm posting to ask if anyone knows whether they maybe do this to let it drain dry when they clean it? Or was it pure malice for me not letting them in most days? (I did leave a tip.)

There were other problems with the room. They'd made the bed but left crumbs on the carpeting. They didn't replace the liner in my ice bucket or the missing toothpaste, but gave me FOUR bottles of shampoo.

I don't get it... any thoughts?
Old 05-21-2010, 07:13 PM

New cleaning staff? Talk to the management. Your tips may be included in the total bill already,
Old 05-21-2010, 07:14 PM

No idea why they would have done that.
If it was me, this is what I would do: call management and ask them. Also ask them if there was a reason that the floor wasn't clean, the toothpaste was missing and the ice bucket wasn't replenished. Then ask for a different person to be assigned to your room.
Carol B
Old 05-21-2010, 07:30 PM

Oh, you have to know the first thing I did was talk to the front desk. Since it was after 6:30 when I got back, the hoursekeeping managers were gone for the day. I will speak with a housekeeping manager tomorrow, though.

I actually was more ticked about the un-vacuumed carpet, since I can of course pull the tub mat off and put it back on the floor of the tub. No harm done.

The front desk bends over backwards to help, and the guy was about killing himself apologizing.

I really just wanted to know if any of you have professional housekeeping experience and would know if this was a typical tub mat cleaning method or a nasty prank. I kind of can't believe it would be nasty, since the person would have to know I'd report it.

To whoever said tips might be included in the room fee, I'm sure the consulting firm would have told me if they were. I was told some tips (I'm not quite clear on which ones) are reimbursable expenses, like I do know that tipping when eating out is reimbursable. The problem I have with this hotel is that the staff thinks everything is a "tipping opportunity." I have to work to avoid them all.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Power Poster

Contact the front desk during the morning/day and let them know that the room wasn't cleaned properly. Tip or no tip there is no reason for the room to not be cleaned. And Actually if you don't have it cleaned every day you save the cleaning staff some work.

As for the shower mat , it may have been stuck there to dry while they were cleaning and they forgot to put it back down. Makes me wonder how often they actually change them in the rooms, or if they ever get replaced :shock:
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 PM
Power Poster

They may have stuck the mat on the wall to let it drip and then forgot to put it back down when they were done. I would think if that is where they "store it" it would have been there when you checked in.
It sounds like they tried to whirl wind through your room and did a poor job of cleaning it.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by sharon b
As for the shower mat , it may have been stuck there to dry while they were cleaning and they forgot to put it back down. Makes me wonder how often they actually change them in the rooms, or if they ever get replaced :shock:
They get replaced. The two I've had so far have both looked and felt brand new. The woman who came tonight wanted to bring me a new one, but since she hadn't brought it with her, I didn't want to wait around for her to come back with it. Honestly, the one stuck to the wall was clean. OTOH, the wall was dripping where it had been.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:46 PM

The mat on the wall I do, I can clean the tub and the mat dries faster when hanging.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:27 PM

I imagine that the mat was stuck up there to dry and to be out of the way while the tub was cleaned. They probably just forgot to take it back down.
Old 05-22-2010, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by CAROLJ
The mat on the wall I do, I can clean the tub and the mat dries faster when hanging.
Me too. You can hose down the mat when it's up there too. sometimes, if I move on, I forget it's there.