Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: For veggie gardners

Does anyone who grow tomatoes know what it means when you get a leaf on your plant that is spotting yellow? Is this some kind of fungus or what? I also notice something is making a meal of a couple of my leaves. I'm growing them in large pots.

you may have afids(are the leaves stickie),cut worms, grass hopers, a fungus, over watering can sometimes do this. Best bet take a leaf to your local green house or your county extencion agent someone should be able to point you in the right direction. Do you know any farmers? You might check with the local supply company they use or maybe a grainge supply. Good luck

Blog Entries
    Everytime we have grown tomatoes we "feed" tomato worms. They could strip a plant over night. The are the same color green as the stems and can be hard to spot. We usually removed them by hand rather than put poison on the plant.

my neighbor just called me over tonight to ask me what a jar of giant catepillars were that she had plucked off her tomato. tomato catepillars, fully grown about 3" long and 1/2" diam ... Hard to miss when that big . Decimated her plants, there were about a dozen. She is a lazy gardener I suspect they've been there a few weeks. husband and I actually "grew" one once to see how large he would get and how much he would eat.

Spotting yellow on leaves in oregon ... First thing comes to mind is tomato blight. it's a virus and there is nothing you can do about it. if youmare growing in pots segregate it from others to prevent further contamination.

At the trade show we just attended we heard from growers (professional) across the country and the NW was reporting tomato blight again.

good luck.

Could be blight/virus, though if something is eating the leaves the yellow could just be leaf damage. DoghouseMom is spot on with the segregation idea, 'til you work out what it is. Tomatoes are gross feeders and like to have a regular supply of water, try to only soak the roots as they dislike getting their leaves wet.

Either a fungus or virus. Or it could be from over watering.

May I suggest contacting your local OSU extesion office and request a Master Gardener's asistance?

Blog Entries
    I had a little of that going on about a month ago, it had been so cool and wet that the poor plants never got a chance to get off to a good start. I ripped off all the affected leaves, fertilized w/ organic fertilizer and the smelly fish stuff and they're looking a lot better. They don't even begin to compare to my friend's who lives 1/2 mile away and has beautiful soil (unlike me). I've also noticed that we have very few ladybugs this year. Last year they were everywhere. Oh, if you take a sample into a nursery for a diagnosis, be sure to put it in a baggie so it doesn't pass anything on to their stock.

My tomatoes got blight this year. The leaves get brown spots and turn yellow. It starts at the bottom of the plant. Pick off infected leaves and burn them or dispose of them where they will not infect anything else. Be sure to clean hands and tools with alcohol so it doesn't spread. Then I am spraying every few days with Neem oil. It is organic and not harmful to humans or animals.

There is an organic insect spray you can make with garlic and cayenne pepper, but I don't have the recipe. My DD makes it. Just google organic insect spray. You should be able to find it easily.

Look for the big green worm. I had one last year and by the time I fiqured it out , it had shredded my potted tomatoe.
    Quote Originally Posted by erstan947
    Everytime we have grown tomatoes we "feed" tomato worms. They could strip a plant over night. The are the same color green as the stems and can be hard to spot. We usually removed them by hand rather than put poison on the plant.