Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Victory over Burnt-up Burner Liners! Super Easy Cleaning Tip. >

Victory over Burnt-up Burner Liners! Super Easy Cleaning Tip.

Victory over Burnt-up Burner Liners! Super Easy Cleaning Tip.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:58 AM

Wow, this was so easy and the results were so incredible, I thought I'd mention it here in case someone else hadn't heard about it.

I read about this method elsewhere, actually for cleaning oven racks without all the work. I thought I would try it for the stainless steel burner liners from my cooktop which I thought had been recently ruined, and I do mean ruined!

What I did, since ammonia fumes are so strong, is to place the burner liners in a glass mixing bowl, poured in enough ammonia to cover them, then covered the mixing bowl with a piece of plastic cling wrap. Left for about 24 hours, took them out, ran water over them and lightly swiped them off with a plastic-bristle brush and they look like brand new! :D I wish now that I had taken before and after pictures!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the tip! Mine always look grungy, and I hate that! I'll try your method!
Old 08-15-2009, 10:10 AM

Talk about coincidences!!! I did the ammonia trick just a month ago! I put them all in a garbage bag, then in the bathtub, then put in a cup of ammonia. My burner pans are the enamel that are supposed to be easy to clean...but they're NOT! This really DOES do the trick! I'll have to try the bowl trick if I have a glass bowl big enough!

Also -- I have a rotisserie for our barbecue. It was looking really bad so I put it in with the oven racks and they came out almost new!!!

I love it -- cuz now people think I'm a great housekeeper....hahahahahahahahahahaha :mrgreen:
Old 08-15-2009, 11:12 AM

Will have to try this as mine are not coming clean the old fashioned way with elbow grease! :?
Old 08-16-2009, 04:12 AM
Banned

wow! i'll have to give this a try. thanks :D
Old 08-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Ammonia is great on grease,but try to do it outside, the fumes really aren't good for your lungs!! And remember to NEVER NEVER mix ammonia and chlorine (any chlorox cleaner) because they produce potent TOXIC fumes :shock: :shock:
I used an ammonia solution to try to clean the grime off the kitchen cabinets in a house we purchased..well, not only did the greasy stuff come off...so did the finish!!! That was one refinishing project I hadn't planned for :lol: :lol:

I use windex on my stove quite frequently, it keeps the greasy crud to a minimum.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Power Poster

Wow. Thanks for the tip. I really need to do mine and see if it will help. I will do it outside because I have big birds in the house and they have delicate respiratory systems.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Power Poster

Thank you for the tips :D :D :D
Old 08-16-2009, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Talk about coincidences!!! I did the ammonia trick just a month ago! I put them all in a garbage bag, then in the bathtub, then put in a cup of ammonia. My burner pans are the enamel that are supposed to be easy to clean...but they're NOT! This really DOES do the trick! I'll have to try the bowl trick if I have a glass bowl big enough!

Also -- I have a rotisserie for our barbecue. It was looking really bad so I put it in with the oven racks and they came out almost new!!!

I love it -- cuz now people think I'm a great housekeeper....hahahahahahahahahahaha :mrgreen:
What kind of bathtub do you have Amanda? I was just wondering if the ammonia might have an effect on some types of bath? I have a metal bath with an enamel finish. (Not sure what the metal is, but think it's steel)
Old 08-16-2009, 05:56 PM

waaah! my burner pans don't come off. they're part of the top. i have to use that spray oven cleaner stuff. and then run out of the kitchen. my burner pans look like......not nice :twisted:.