Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

Want to Make a Mother's Day Gift for Mother in Assisted Living---Ideas?

My mom is 97 and lives on a skilled nursing home, and is on Medicaid. She needs nothing. She was a talented seamstress and quilted until about five years ago. Does anyone have any ideas on what I could make for her?

How about a basket of flowers wallhanging for her room?
    Marilyn

Blog Entries
    does she need an adult bib with her name on it? i made my elderly aunt one and also did a name sign for her door. the neighbors walking by love it. you can see pics here Items for dear Aunt Kay
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Power Poster
    A button on bag for her walker? A TV remote control bag for her favourite chair?

Maybe a small bulletin board where you could tack up family or friend's pictures to remind her of those she doesn't see too often.

Blog Entries
    When my Mother was in a home briefly, I made sign and floral wreath for her door and a floral swag over the curtains I hung for her room. There were two beds, so I put matching quilts and sheets on them. All to match her burgundy satin pillows that went everywhere with her.

The best gift for the elderly is not material but social. To have someone who cares enough to come visit her is the best gift of all. I'm 78 and live alone. When we donated lap quilts to the local nursing home the residents just loved our visit so much and expressed the desire we sh come back. We had rolled them up and tied a ribbon on the quilts. I'm told some of them will unroll their quilt and then after using roll them back up and tie that ribbon around it again. You know that our shoulders and legs are colder now as we age, so a small quilt is nice to have.

How about a comfort wrap? Here's a link to some that my family did for a local nursing home this last Christmas. 12 Pure Comfort Wraps are done!!!
    "Proud Parent of an American Airman"

I embroidered my mom's name on a big straw hat. She sits outside alot so I'm hoping it will be useful.

Blog Entries
    I made a wall hanging for my mother...she loves it. I have also made tiny quilts for her door...she is 95 and was a quilter. I have started bringing a project over when I go see her and she loves to watch it progress. There is a lady there that has an adorable bag that hangs from the front of her walker...I think that will be a project I will tackle for her next. It is hard to find things for my mother now...I swear I will never bring her bath powder...I remember how my grandmother hated getting that..she said she could open a store with all she received! LOL
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast