Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wedding veil , was her DM.

Blog Entries

Wedding veil , was her DM.

Hope someone on the QB can help me. My DD wants her DD to wear her veil for her wedding. The veil is about 28 years old. The problem is ironing it. The wrinkles won't come out. Seems the best we could do was using cheesecloth and spraying it with water and then using a dry iron. If anyone has had experience like this please let me know.
    Loraine

how about hanging it in the bathroom and running a very hot shower and making the room steam and letting it hang for a while. Just an idea.

You could probably take it to your local cleaners and they can steam the wrinkles out for you. If there are any embellishments on the veil, be sure your cleaners protect them so no steam gets on them.
    Chocolate is the Answer. Who cares what the question is.

Blog Entries
    Thank you to KarenR and lalaland for their input. FYI it seems that the cheesecloth did the trick. It has to be sprayed with water and ironed with a hot iron. Steamed in the bathroom didn't do (to my surprise) and we were afraid to trust it to a dry cleaner because it is so fragile. Thanks again ladies!!
    Loraine

Glad you found something that worked and I love the fact that the bride will wear her mothers veil. Wonderful!

Blog Entries
    My daughter wore my headpiece but not my veil. I was in happy tears when she asked . I was going to suggest using Downy wrinkle release but glad the cheese cloth worked.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

I saved my wedding dress in case I had a daughter; but after she went into the
    sixth grade, I knew she would never be able to wear it. She hasn't married yet
    anyway. My Grandaughter #2 wore it in her variety show number. The year
    before it wouldn't zip up on her, but the next year it fit. I am short but she
    was 5' 9" and it fit her pretty good and wasn't too short (she wore ballerina
    shoes with it). I doubt if either of my GD's will wear it, but it is still in good
    shape from 1961; the cleaners asked again how old it was....Mom packed it
    in blue paper and put it in a suit case; suit case disentigraded....lol

Glad it worked, that'll be so special!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by Pins n' Ndls View Post
    Hope someone on the QB can help me. My DD wants her DD to wear her veil for her wedding. The veil is about 28 years old. The problem is ironing it. The wrinkles won't come out. Seems the best we could do was using cheesecloth and spraying it with water and then using a dry iron. If anyone has had experience like this please let me know.
    You might be better steaming it while it is hanging,I have steamed tulle a few times with good results.You didn't happen to mention what the veil is made of.You could also search it up on the internet or take to a cleaners they should now if they can do it or not