Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bridal Veil

Blog Entries
    Am in middle of making granddaughter bridal veil. Now for the embelishments. Am using a motif that is repeated in skirt. It is an outline done is embroidery stitch called couching. Then inside is all the irridescent sequins with pearls on top of them. Want to use the metalic thread by kleinik. Is anyone familiar with these thread. I have 8 spools of it in silver and pearl color. Does anyone know which weight of the thread I should use on the fragile bridal illusion tulle and which one for the actual couching stitch. HELP!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've used this in counted cross stitching before, but only on aida or linen.. I'd have to suggest trying it on a scrap first to see what gives you the result you're looking for before starting on the veil.

Wow, that is going to be beautiful. She is lucky to have you as a grandma.

Blog Entries
    On sewing with Nancy, they were just talking about sewing on these type of fabrics, I would suggest checking with a fabric store for the proper needle and threads :D :D :D ( I was not paying much attention to that show...these things are waaay out of my league )

Blog Entries
    Can't give you any info, just wanted to say, wow!

Blog Entries
    Alright gang, with all the members someone has experience doing this HELP ME OUT

I've watched Sewing With Nancy, also. She refers to a Water Soluble Fusable Web. You fuse the web to the fabric with your iron according to the directions, then sew/embroider as normal. Spritz with water after the sewing/embroidery is completed to remove the web. The web provides a temporary backing to the fabric for sewing.

I used a very fine needle and lightest weight thread I could get to do the wedding gowns and overlay embroidery. Use small sections of thread at a time, not more than 12 inches in length or it will tear the fabric or fray and break.

Good luck, hope you have lots of time. It's tedious but verry satisfying work.

Hugs,
    Sharon

Oh I wish I could give you some information that would make you feel better about this type of work. But I think that mimisharon is on the right track here. The veil I made I used invisible thread to attach the beads and lace, I also used a stablizer, but it stayed there afterwords. Kind of like a shadow effect when it was finished.

community benefactor collettakay's Avatar
    How is it coming? It is going to be very beautiful and will be a treasured heirloom forever. I must be very emotional today because I'm almost tearing up.

That's gorgeous! I hope your granddaughter appreciates her Grandma. Just Lovely! Share pictures of the bride wearing her veil!

I would buy another piece of tulle and PRACTICE on it...trying different threads, needles,etc...

Blog Entries
    Update: I do have all the first layer of pearls around bottom of scalloped edge. Also bought tulle at Walmart and have been practising stitches and use of various threads all week. Have decided on thread color and type and also the stitch will be an embroidery stitch called backstitch. Also have all the motif patterns traced on onion skin paper. Tried every kind of marker I had but nothing shows on tulle, so am going to cut out pattern with razor blade and put inside of hoop and just use it as a guide for freehand. At least I can follow that. Will keep you updated and as soon as I get one motif done will picture

Blog Entries
    I did get this posted under wrong heading and I do apologize. Should have been under general chit chat

You have a lucky grand daughter! Anxious to see pictures! :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by glennis
    Update: I do have all the first layer of pearls around bottom of scalloped edge. Also bought tulle at Walmart and have been practising stitches and use of various threads all week. Have decided on thread color and type and also the stitch will be an embroidery stitch called backstitch. Also have all the motif patterns traced on onion skin paper. Tried every kind of marker I had but nothing shows on tulle, so am going to cut out pattern with razor blade and put inside of hoop and just use it as a guide for freehand. At least I can follow that. Will keep you updated and as soon as I get one motif done will picture
    To hold a pattern on fabric difficult to do you can tack down pattern paper (it is a very thin tissue)just make sure it is white if you aren't using real pattern paper. Put the pattern on the paper...tear away as you sew. Or do a basting type stitch around the pattern w/the tissue...and, follow your threads. Just some thought on this. Skeat Whose mother sewed all my lace on my wedding dress by hand. She did it w/nothing fancy just needle and thread:)

Blog Entries
    Wow, great work! Your granddaughter is so lucky to have you! Post a pic when it's completed!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennis
    I did get this posted under wrong heading and I do apologize. Should have been under general chit chat
    i left in in "Pictures" on purpose. it isn't quilting, but you've shown us a technique that would add beautifully to a quilt. :wink:

Blog Entries
    Thanks Patrice, again I apologize. Well after 2 weeks of hand work here is one of the motifs. There are 9 scallops on each layer. I did full motif on 1st one left then center (scallop nbr 5) then last one (number 9) on right of bottom layer. then starting again on left skip one now on 3rd scallop a half motif skip then 5 has a full skip and on seven a half motif skip one and full motif is on 9. Haven't figured out 2nd layer het, probably will only do half motif above ones that were skipped on bottom layer as she will use this layer also as a blusher so don't want anything large in front of face. If you really want to try small stitches for hand quilting go to local walmart and buy some practise tulle and embroiderey thread. You never will again gripe about quilting stitches. Keep you posted

WOW1 Absolutely beautiful.
    Great work!

Ninnie

Blog Entries
    Just another brief note. The pictures don't really do justice. The thread is a multi strand and the white is laced with at least 3 strands of an irridescent thread so it really glitters in the light. Also the small round circles in top of motif i did in pure silver just to add a differnet twist. I do not have the peals or irridecent sequins on yet will do that all at one time when embroidery is complete. Sure is a differnet thing to buy premade motifs and just glue them on. Any questions on thread or stitches, just ask. I tried every different kind i could find, ciuching didn't work back stitch didn't work. None of these could be pulled tight enough to hold so I ended up just doing small running stitches like quilting and tying small knots on back when done. Will glue sequin or pearl over those on top when finished.

Blog Entries
    update: Have all embroidery done. Also have all sequins in place. Am gluing pearls now. Have one more on bottom layer to pearl. Only doing one motif at time as want glue to dry without pearls moving around.Did 3 full motifs and 2 top half motifs on bottom layer. Did 3 bottom half of motif on blusher layer so mininal pealrs on that one. Here is full and top half motif. Slow going.

What a labor of love! :thumbup: :thumbup:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    That is beautiful Glennis!

K x

Blog Entries
    It's done. I ended up using just crystal sequins at bottom as I thought too many pearls. Anybody want a custom veil made.? Will cost you HA Ha !!!1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast