What to eat? and when?

Old 08-10-2016, 06:22 PM

Our mom would have things like burger patties, grilled cheese sandwiches, or ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast. So I got used to eating more substantial meals in the morning. Today, I eat anything anytime. If I want soup for breakfast and pancakes for supper, so be it. I like "breakfast foods" for supper. [Here in the south, most of us have dinner at midday and supper at night.]
Old 08-11-2016, 02:00 AM
Power Poster

I had pancakes for dinner last night. A lot of mornings breakfast is left overs for the night before.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:36 AM

Actually "western civilization" as we know it, is unique in having "breakfast" foods per se. Most of the rest of the world eats the same type of food for each meal.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:19 AM

SO and I are pretty much traditional meals, but a lot of time nothing sounds that good for dinner, so we have cereal. I had a sister that loved cold spaghetti mashed up on toast.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by GailG View Post
Here in the south, most of us have dinner at midday and supper at night.
That was a farm thing, too. Farmers usually have more time to spend at meals at noon, whereas in the morning and evening, there are milking chores to do, and they don't have time to sit around and enjoy their food.

When my cousin got married, the invitation said, "Wedding supper at 6:00 PM." And that was in St. Paul MN.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I eat only when I get hungry and whatever I want at the time. DH likes a set time for each meal so he eats at those times. I don't think he cares what food is what meal, he as long as it tastes good. My grandson age 4 is with me today and we had ziti noodles with cut up tomatoes, basil and grated cheese for breakfast. He ate a plate full.
my dh was the same...now that I am alone.....I eat when I'm hungry or just pick at something to fill the void....and yes, children, g-kids, and now gg and I will enjoy a pasta dish as mentioned above too! But, I do sort of keep certain foods for certain times of day....usually the heaviest " meal" is midday...evening (supper) the lightest.

Last edited by Geri B; 08-11-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:31 AM

After being on a night schedule for many years, I can eat anything anytime, with the exception of anything tomato-y. If I eat (say) spaghetti before bedtime, it gives me indigestion big-time. I'll wake up ON FIRE. Anything tomato-y has to be eaten early in my day.

I *love* breakfast for supper, or any other time of day!
Old 08-11-2016, 04:37 AM

Nothing to eat until after 3pm? I actually must have coffee and toast, cookie, pop tart first thing in morning...stomach is empty and growling...after feeding the beast..I can do the rest of the day however. But I would think no food in stomach all day while those stomach acids are churning up in there could lead to ulcers.....but to each his own...
Old 08-11-2016, 04:40 AM

Pizza makes a wonderful breakfast. I do mostly eat traditional breakfast type foods for breakfast. But if there is something good in the refrigerator there isn't any reason to not eat it for breakfast or dinner or whenever. My DH favorite breakfast is left over spaghetti and meat sauce. My kids favorite dinner was always breakfast for dinner.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:30 AM

I started eating Chili for breakfast when I was 15. Still one of my favorite breakfast foods, right up there with pizza.