Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What if Peggy Sue Didn't get Married? >

What if Peggy Sue Didn't get Married?

What if Peggy Sue Didn't get Married?

Old 09-01-2011, 05:31 AM

The back cover of one of my favourite movies “Peggy Sue Got Married” asks the ultimate question. If you could live your life all over again would you change anything? What would you say to the people you loved and lost?

Last night in an endless dream I spent time with an older couple who I just could not seem to recognize. I remembered the smells and the faces but I could not place them. We talked about life and families and how they loved everyone. They knew everything about me yet I was infuriated that I could not remember who they were. Were they people I had met at a garage sale and had snapped pictures of? I could not remember taking any yet everything facing me here was as clear as day.

They sat on a blue couch with a sheer plastic cover and the Life magazines on the coffee table stared back at me. They asked me how I was feeling and I told them that I was fine now. Both of them told me that they had shed many tears watching me go through life and felt helpless. I looked into the woman’s eyes and remembered. I was talking to my grandmother but how could that be? She had died thirty six ago and how was she able to talk to me now?

My grandparents told me that I had made many wrong turns in life but I was now on the right road. My grandmother beckoned me to the couch where she hugged me and we broke into tears. She told me to go upstairs and rest before supper.

I climbed up the orange painted wooden stairs and opened the upper floor door. Cold air slapped me in the face like it used to when I was a child. They never turned on the heat on the second floor and only used small space heaters at night. I went into my grandparent’s rooms and sat on one of the twin beds. I could smell her Evening in Paris perfume in the air and the sun shone through the closed pink curtains. I lay on the yellow chenille bedspread and looked at the ceiling. I had watched my grandfather die just outside this room and I began to remember.

My grandmother helped him from the very bed I was laying on to the bathroom one September day and he fell. I heard her screaming and I tried to drag one of the oxygen tanks up but it was too heavy. I ran up the stairs and saw my grandmother frantically hovering over her husband begging him not to die. As the antique travel clock clicked loudly on the sideboard I attempted to give my grandfather mouth to mouth resuscitation. After a few minutes I felt his last gasp on my face and he was dead.

I came downstairs still locked in the dream and they looked at me straight in the eyes. They kept repeating the same words over and over,

“Eight to the heart.”

I woke up right after that in sadness and confusion. What was eight to the heart and what did it mean? I turned on the computer and Googled "eight to the heart”.

It was something called metasymbology and the eight of hearts was my card. The meaning of the card said it was the symbol for the power of love. I admit I have worked and loved too hard in life and have intense emotional power like they explained.

All of it was right but the dream had been way too real and I was in a funk all day long. Many hours later I was still pretty shook up and I looked at the calendar on the fridge. It was April the 18th. Thirty five years ago to the day they had torn my grandparents home down to replace it with a gas station.

Nothing can change your destiny - even browsing through time in a dream. So what if Peggy Sue didn’t get married? But she did and so did I and in the end it all worked out for the both of us.

Mistakes are meant to be made so you can learn from them. I would not change a thing about how I handled my life. Love is to be spread far and wide, not contained. Last night in a dream my grandparents shared their love with me once again and it will live through me for the remaining days I have left.

Text and Images Linda Seccaspina 2011
Attached Thumbnails attachment-249951.jpe   attachment-249952.jpe  
Old 09-01-2011, 05:38 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

Thanks for sharing.. And for the reminder to give freely, hug longer and love all that you can..
Old 09-01-2011, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Thanks for sharing.. And for the reminder to give freely, hug longer and love all that you can..
You know people laugh at me because I hug all the time and I really love people. I just do not care.. I watched my entire family die from cancer. I am the last one standing and I am 60. I have fought off two bouts and realize there is a reason I am here. I am not going to stop sharing anything I have.. including all the love I have to give.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:51 AM

There truly is a reason you are here. Thank you for sharing.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom
There truly is a reason you are here. Thank you for sharing.
Quilt Mom:
I found this place by accident looking to read about quilts. I feel like I am home.
HUGGGGGGGG
Old 09-01-2011, 06:00 AM

Wow -- that's powerful!!!! Yes, hug every chance you get -- because some day they may not be there to hug (or you may not be). I, too, have lost many, including a husband. But I look forward to the future -- the future challenges, the future experiences, the future happinesses........... life is good, the alternative really sucks.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes one has to say "life is interesting . . . "
when "good" is hard to see . . .
Old 09-01-2011, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Linda, that was beautiful. Thanks for sharing, I really needed to read this today.
BIG HUGS, Sue :)
Old 09-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Linda,
Here is a hug back...
Old 09-01-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
Wow -- that's powerful!!!! Yes, hug every chance you get -- because some day they may not be there to hug (or you may not be). I, too, have lost many, including a husband. But I look forward to the future -- the future challenges, the future experiences, the future happinesses........... life is good, the alternative really sucks.
amanda's grandma.. First fo all you do not look like anyones grandma..:)
I have lost everyone. My youngest son is always on the 'outs' with me and I keep telling him one day I might not be here and you will regret arguing with me when you know that I just love you so much and hate to see you go down wrong paths. Not my decisions now but I can still offer a mother's opinion.. gently..
I am so sorry to hear about your loss..
HUGGGGGGGGGGG