Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't? >

What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't?

What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't?

Old 09-20-2015, 04:08 AM

Default What sewing things have you bought that you wish you hadn't?

You know, those "seemed like a good idea at the time" things. A few years back I bought not one but two pair of Gingher scissors, one large and one craft size. I had wanted them for decades and finally they were on sale and I could use coupons on top of the sale and took them home and used them but then...not so in love with them. Oh, they're beautiful and shiny and cut like a dream but they seem very slippery on thin fabrics and for what I sew now (cutting out a doll pattern) the large ones are too large and the small ones are too small. sigh...so much for satisfying wants.

That and some fabric I have to make quilts that I no longer want to make AT ALL using those fabrics. For example, owls. 4 different panels of owls - what was I thinking? The actual pattern used sailboats but I saw the owls and thought they would be adorable but now they creep me out (so many!) and my grandson doesn't like owls.

I have no idea what to do with these things. Seeing them makes me anxious so craigslist maybe?

What about you? What makes you want to turn back time?
Old 09-20-2015, 04:47 AM

I bought the quilt calculator. It can calculate how much fabric you need to buy when you new so many squares, strips, etc. I don't think I have ever used it😝
Old 09-20-2015, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I bought the quilt calculator. It can calculate how much fabric you need to buy when you new so many squares, strips, etc. I don't think I have ever used it
Ditto! Waste of hard earned money!
Old 09-20-2015, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
You know, those "seemed like a good idea at the time" things. A few years back I bought not one but two pair of Gingher scissors, one large and one craft size. I had wanted them for decades and finally they were on sale and I could use coupons on top of the sale and took them home and used them but then...not so in love with them. Oh, they're beautiful and shiny and cut like a dream but they seem very slippery on thin fabrics and for what I sew now (cutting out a doll pattern) the large ones are too large and the small ones are too small. sigh...so much for satisfying wants.

That and some fabric I have to make quilts that I no longer want to make AT ALL using those fabrics. For example, owls. 4 different panels of owls - what was I thinking? The actual pattern used sailboats but I saw the owls and thought they would be adorable but now they creep me out (so many!) and my grandson doesn't like owls.

I have no idea what to do with these things. Seeing them makes me anxious so craigslist maybe?

What about you? What makes you want to turn back time?
Owls are very popular...you could sell those panels and use the money for something you like now.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
Owls are very popular...you could sell those panels and use the money for something you like now.
I'm not really good at selling things and it's probably 3 yards total. I'm a returner - if I have a receipt I'll return it. Fabric I usually donate. I just donated a bag to Goodwill and these owls and some other flannel and fleece I think I'm going to donate to a 'Newborns in Need' org in my area. They take donations of newborn clothing and juvenile fabrics and make quilts and clothes for at risk babies and small children in the area. Not that I couldn't use the extra money myself, but I feel that there is always someone going thru a worse time than I so rather than hoard crafty things, I donate them to those who can use them. It makes me feel that I'm helping in a very small way.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:21 AM

I think it's mostly fabric I've purchased that I thought I could match up to something else and make a gorgeous, bright quilt with, but then I couldn't find the right matching fabric or pattern to make it shine. Usually, it's something I bought to take me out of my comfort zone like others keep recommending I do and it's not a good idea. Unless I buy the matching fabric at the time or I have a pattern/design set for it at the time of purchase, it just sits there. I've also gone crazy and purchased too much of some fabrics and after making a quilt or two with it, I still have more. I'm now making more quilts, some just lap size, to use it up before I buy any more fabric and I'm making new rules for myself so I don't do this again!
Old 09-20-2015, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
Fabric I usually donate. I just donated a bag to Goodwill and these owls and some other flannel and fleece I think I'm going to donate to a 'Newborns in Need' org in my area...I feel that there is always someone going thru a worse time than I so rather than hoard crafty things, I donate them to those who can use them. It makes me feel that I'm helping in a very small way.
Before I had a stash built up, I was always positively thrilled when I came across some fabric score that someone else had passed along. I don't think you should underestimate how much you are helping others when you donate crafty things. I give away all my scraps and other fabrics I know in my heart I will never use, and I am happy to know that someone else will enjoy going through their new treasures.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Ummmm - I don't think any one wants to read a list that long!
Old 09-20-2015, 08:01 AM

The clear plastic table you put on your machine. Big waste of money. The quilt catches on the edge of the table.
I finally bought a cabinet and I love it. The machine sets into the table so it is flush.
Then I bought a long arm table with a Baby Lock Jane machine. To small of a machine so now Im thinking of a Block Rocket for $3200.
I waste so much money trying to save money.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 AM
Power Poster

I still have my Gingher sewing shears put away because I never know when I will need them. I love my duck bill Gingher and they are always by my Bernina. The only thing I may collect too many are patterns.