Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen ware I wish I hadn't bought

Blog Entries

Kitchen ware I wish I hadn't bought

Another thread about safe pots & pans set me to thinking how much kitchen "stuff"I have bought & regretted.Electric or not......all I have to do is think back to kitchen ware I have given away....or look at the couple of long shelves holding what needs to be donated.

One job wonders leads the list,a huge slo cooker (for 2 ppl),garlic thing ma jigs.....more slicers & dicers than I can remember (my paring knife works better), a gift of an egg cooker ?......2...count them 2...Keurig coffee makers,iced tea maker,hamburg press,big mixer with all attachments (gone),pressure cooker ...gone. In my defense,DDs are desperate to find gifts for this old couple. Thankfully,I finally told them we appreciate the thought,but No more kitchen anything!! No need,no room.
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I"ve been cleaning house too. There are many things we can do without. But we see things and think how much that would help our day. Television and now the internet have a lot to do with this. We see, we need.

Power Poster
    My kitchen is not huge and counter space is at a premium. I only keep my microwave on the counter and don't buy any other appliances to clutter my counter. I do have a good size junk drawer that I keep all my misc. kitchen tools in. I keep 5 spatulas in there and yes I sometimes use them all before the dishwasher is full enough to run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I keep 5 spatulas in there and yes I sometimes use them all before the dishwasher is full enough to run.
    I cannot relate to the rest of your kitchen but I always need one more spatula than I own.

Yes, I own things that I rarely use but I am hoarder ... I might just need one of those things today.

Blog Entries
    I am another one who wants rid of anything in my cabinets I don't use all the time. Those little things they advertise on tv I sure don't want either. In the past I have had people get them for me, but I don't use them. The only thing I like to have out on my counter is my microwave, coffee pot, and my swivel spice rack. I think I am becoming more of a minimalist. lol...

Oh my, I am the opposite...I love gadgets and gizmos .........I do collect them, but I do use them too, at least once a year! Ha, ha! Kidding aside.....when I cook, bake, or whatever, I want the fastest way to do it. But, because this kitchen as opposed to my olde farmhouse one is "compact"... The overflow of big gadgets are in cabinets in laundry room, covered shelf unit in attached garage(baking stuff...less used), and down in family room where I have a huge pine handmade cabinet....carried over from olde farmhouse, for some things too. Now, no one allows me to go to bed, bath and beyond anymore...small gizmos are in three drawers in kitchen...those are my go to everyday things. I do a lot of scratch preparing/cooking.....oh well

The most useless gadget I have ever had was a fondue pot. We might have used it twice in 45 years.. My Mother got us a pressure cooker that I have never used also...I am afraid of it.
    Besides my family, my pets are the most important things to me. I have had birds, a dog or cats since I was about 8 years old. The cruelest thing you can do to me is take my animals away.

My kitchen space is small for the size house we have. My husband built a shelf in my laundry room for some of my small appliances. I try not to buy to many "once or twice used items" my list of no longer used things:
    a wok
    40 cup coffee pot
    food processor (not an actual one, it mainly shredded veggies, grated cheese)
    blender
    and a very evil kitchen Mandoline, the guard slipped and almost cut the end of my finger off.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

I have a small kitchen and never really liked cooking so I never collected anything I wouldn't need or use.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I have been gifted many cookbooks. Hmmmmmm....maybe there's a message in there somehow! Anyway, those take up so much room in my pantry and I don't think I've used half of them. I'm thinking of moving them somewhere else so I can put food in the pantry. Where do you all store your cookbooks?

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    The most useless gadget I have ever had was a fondue pot. We might have used it twice in 45 years.. My Mother got us a pressure cooker that I have never used also...I am afraid of it.

Been using my my pressure cooker for 46+ years. Not sure I can go a week without using is at least 2 or 3 times!
    You should give it a chance.

GramE/pat
    "I listen, the fabric speaks"

Inklingo makes me happy❤️

I'm a chef and I love my mandoline and my pressure cooker. One thing I can do without is the shredder attachment for my KitchenAid. Should just sell the thing.

Watson

Small kitchen limits the gadget buying. Mine were mostly wedding gifts. Two electric knives, two popcorn poppers(both burned the popcorn), electric can opener which was more trouble than a manual one, waffle maker and a jar & bottle opener.
    Singer 66 treadle, Singer 15-91, JC Penney 6923, Kenmore 50, White 2334, Brother 920D serger. RIP Singer 1036

When your children are looking for a gift - ask them for a gift of time. ASk them to plan an outing for you all. this could mean a picnic in the park, a show, dinner at their home, ,,,anything but things.
    The only place where housework comes before needlework is in the dictionary.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    We donated a lot of things when we got rid of the dishwasher and bought a small storage cabinet DH put on wheels. I keep trying to minimalize and it drives me nuts. we have a large microwave that still works so keeping that even though it takes up a lot of space but we keep it in a corner. Cleaned out the junk drawer. Now nothing but batteries and a few other things. Don't use a lot of spices so the few we have fits into a drawer. Can't tell you the last time we bought a 'gadget'. We have 2 pressure cookers and have used only twice. We've only had them for a few months. I'm trying really hard to minimalize slow but sure. I pulled some bins this morning and got rid of some things I know I won't use and I process made room for stray stash.

Quote Originally Posted by canmitch1971 View Post
    I like my old pressure cooker. It makes everything so tender, ribs, chicken, etc. I would get a new one if this one ever fails, but I have already bought a replacement washer to put around the inside of the lip when the current one stops sealing.

I have a few appliances I could get rid of but nothing substantial. I finally destroyed my hand mixer (cookie dough) so had to replace it. It lasted several years, and I am always baking something.

Quote Originally Posted by travelinggramma View Post
    When your children are looking for a gift - ask them for a gift of time. ASk them to plan an outing for you all. this could mean a picnic in the park, a show, dinner at their home, ,,,anything but things.
    I know. At some point, we already have most everything we actually use and need. It makes gifting hard, on both the buyer and the recipient.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NoraB View Post
    I have been gifted many cookbooks. Hmmmmmm....maybe there's a message in there somehow! Anyway, those take up so much room in my pantry and I don't think I've used half of them. I'm thinking of moving them somewhere else so I can put food in the pantry. Where do you all store your cookbooks?
    I've gotten rid of a lot of my cookbooks - saved the few favourite recipes as photos on my iPad. I'm down to just a handful of books now and I have a small open shelve in the kitchen for these. I like to try new recipes. It's too expensive to buy imported produce here but the local seasonal produce is quite good, I find myself googling recipes for what is in season. So I have a Bookmark folder full of online recipes that I would repeat. Thinking of looking for an App that would help me organise all my recipes online.
    Valerie

I don't have a ton of kitchen stuff so not much extra. I do have a huge kitchen and the cupboards are full because I love dishes. I have 5 sets of dishes. Two of which have 12 place settings. Plus I have a lot of serveware. I don't use them often but I love them and so I'm not getting rid of them. I just trot them out and use them once in a while and they make me smile. That makes it them worth having.
    Patrice S

Bernina Artista 180, Singer 301a, Featherweight Centennial, Rocketeer, Juki 2200 QVP Mini, White 1964 Featherweight

Love my kitchen equipment. My favorite specialty items are used weekly are my Stir Crazy pop corn maker, non stick ebelskivers pan (filled round pancake balls), Steam Master French Bread steam baking pans, and yogurt maker. I have too many to list. I use them all.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

We have a relatively small kitchen but a decent sized pantry. That's where all the 'not used on a daily basis' stuff goes (along with minor amounts of food). Cookbooks and recipe boxes are also there. I dislike lots of clutter on my counters which is a neverending battle with DH. If there's a flat surface anywhere.... Our microwave is above the stove - best invention since sliced bread. I use the 'bread drawer' of my cabinets for most of the gadgets. I have a small 'vase' for the most used spatulas and spoons. Coffee pot and toaster are on the counter as well as a small basket to hold odds & ends. I do tend to like gadgets but can usually resist most of them.

As to gifting...DH & I agreed a number of years ago to forgo the gift giving for holidays and anniversaries. We instead use those funds for travel; dinners out; time spent together. I agree with another poster's suggestion that adult children of those of us who have more 'stuff' than we know what do with - ask for their time (if geographically convenient). Even if not so geographically convenient, perhaps more frequent phone calls?? Still 'time' on their part as well as you getting to spend time chatting/visiting with them.

I have things I use about once a year but my food processor comes to mind it is kind of big takes up a lot of storage space but come canning time it gets a work out! Most everything else gets used alot I have a blender but even tho I am going to make us milkshakes one day I have not done that! never have ice cream when I want one!

I own 4 crockpots (different sizes) and use all. Not big on baking, but love my big mixer. I make 5 lb. batches of ham balls, meat balls or meat loaf in it (among other things). Food processor for shredding cabbage and my shredded cheese tastes good because I shred it myself so no fillers in it. (you saw the news?) Love my pressure cooker but probably use it only 1x month. 2 aebelskiver pans (mine and Moms) but use both when making a big batch for the freezer. A favorite is electric vegetable steamer (shrimp, rice, vegs). Love my kitchen appliances.

Blog Entries
    Though I am not much into gadgets I do love my dishes, teapots, cute odd dishes I find.,etc. I have a new set of gorgeous coffee mug size cups my son bought me, and they are so pretty. I have Christmas mugs in a special cabinet that me and my husband started when we first got married. We would buy each other one that are those sculpted type mugs for our hot chocolate. I have one coffee cup he had made for me with pictures on it. Other mugs for hot or cold drinks that my son would bring back for us from where he went to a fly in. I have all kinds of pretty serving dishes that I love. So I am only a minimalist when it comes to gadgets. lol...I have some clear dishes that were used in cafes a long time ago that you don't see anymore. They are little ones that are shaped where you have a section for a tiny food, a place for a cup or glass, and a third place that's a mystery. lol...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plainpat View Post
    Another thread about safe pots & pans set me to thinking how much kitchen "stuff"I have bought & regretted.Electric or not......all I have to do is think back to kitchen ware I have given away....or look at the couple of long shelves holding what needs to be donated.

One job wonders leads the list,a huge slo cooker (for 2 ppl),garlic thing ma jigs.....more slicers & dicers than I can remember (my paring knife works better), a gift of an egg cooker ?......2...count them 2...Keurig coffee makers,iced tea maker,hamburg press,big mixer with all attachments (gone),pressure cooker ...gone. In my defense,DDs are desperate to find gifts for this old couple. Thankfully,I finally told them we appreciate the thought,but No more kitchen anything!! No need,no room.
    I would never give up my Keurig coffee maker. Mine just died after many many cups of wonderful coffee. So I found a killer deal on one and it will be delivered on Saturday. Can't wait. I don't care how much of my kitchen cupboard it covers, it's worth it!!!
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast