Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: BUYER BE WARE! rotary blades stolen out of packages.

I ran errands today and also picked up a new rotary cutter Friskars Comfort grip $15.97 at the local Walmart. Not till I was home did I notice that one edge of the plastic form fitted package (the hinge part) was cut open. I was a little distressed and tried to get the cutter out through just that opening. No problem, I could easily remove the rotary cutter and slip it back in through the opening. I examined it and looked if it had been used. There was no lint or anything on it and it did not show wear. Now the test. I tried to cut some quilting quality fabric. Nothing! It did not cut anything. I pushed and went back and forth. Still no cut fabric at all. It appears to me that some one bought this cutter, took it home, cut the hing part off the plastic mold around the cutter, slipped the cutter out and switched blades, then brought it back to the store. Ugh!!!!! Lets hope it is not a quilter. I thought as a whole we were pretty nice and decent people. I also think this person has been doing it more often because I was trying to buy a rotary cutter months ago at another Walmart close to my home but there was but one cutter and I noticed it was open in the same area. I did not buy it and left it. Sick! Just be on the look out quilters and check before you buy.

Blog Entries
    thanks for letting us know

You know as sick as this sounds it doesn't surprise me!
    People today are just I don't know what to say! They steal everything possible!

treefrog

Good to know I worked retail for 34.5 years and I could tell you many stories....

Blog Entries
    In Hancock's, people do all kind of really horrible things. Yesterday when I was talking to the manager she told me there were 4 cards from buttons in the yarn--no buttons and they were the really expensive ones. Someone took the buttons off and left the cards. It is really disgusting.

The manager at my local Hancocks said she was being robbed blind with her rotary blades.

Blog Entries
    Are they going to have to put things like this behind glass just to keep from being robbed blind?

I think so. If they don't, they'll have to go out of business.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting Carol
    Good to know I worked retail for 34.5 years and I could tell you many stories....
    Right there with you. - I've worked retail since 1980! It's amazing what the thieves think of and do that us honest folks would not and could not even imagine anyone thinking of let alone doing!

I found empty DVD cases hidden under some of our bead boxes on the shelf one day ---- 3 seasons of a TV show------ Show was get this ----- "Criminal Minds!" Two weeks later... I found 2 more empty DVD cases of ---- you guessed it ---- the next two seasons of the show for "Criminal Minds"!!!!

THE JOANN'S I GO TO THEY LOCK UP THE ROTARY BLADES AS FOLKS WERE TAKING THEM OUT OF THE PACKAGE, YOU HAVE TO ASK FOR THEM...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting Carol
    Right there with you. - I've worked retail since 1980! It's amazing what the thieves think of and do that us honest folks would not and could not even imagine anyone thinking of let alone doing!

I found empty DVD cases hidden under some of our bead boxes on the shelf one day ---- 3 seasons of a TV show------ Show was get this ----- "Criminal Minds!" Two weeks later... I found 2 more empty DVD cases of ---- you guessed it ---- the next two seasons of the show for "Criminal Minds"!!!!
    What is really stupid is these run reruns continually on tv.

I cannot believe the nerve that some people have!

I once worked with this one girl who use to go eat the lunch of other people right out of the staff fridge! She lived beyond her means and didn't care about anyone but herself!

How can they live with themselves?

3Frog

Blog Entries
    They have no morals.

Sorry, but the irony of that just made me laugh! :D

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Sorry, but the irony of that just made me laugh! :D
    That's o.k. I laughed too. After I shook my head and gave the empty cases to loss prevention.

Blog Entries
    Scissors and rotary blades and locked up at our local Joann's.

Use to have people open blades or knifes to peel tags and open packages, You want to say "hello can't you keep up w/the first one you stole"
    Have to wonder if the carpet folks that can't find them at HF are taking revenge. (hmmmm) just kidding !!
    These have endless uses, hate to admit but have scored plexi with one, and yes, the blade was toast afterwards. :)

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I ran errands today and also picked up a new rotary cutter Friskars Comfort grip $15.97 at the local Walmart. Not till I was home did I notice that one edge of the plastic form fitted package (the hinge part) was cut open. I was a little distressed and tried to get the cutter out through just that opening. No problem, I could easily remove the rotary cutter and slip it back in through the opening. I examined it and looked if it had been used. There was no lint or anything on it and it did not show wear. Now the test. I tried to cut some quilting quality fabric. Nothing! It did not cut anything. I pushed and went back and forth. Still no cut fabric at all. It appears to me that some one bought this cutter, took it home, cut the hing part off the plastic mold around the cutter, slipped the cutter out and switched blades, then brought it back to the store. Ugh!!!!! Lets hope it is not a quilter. I thought as a whole we were pretty nice and decent people. I also think this person has been doing it more often because I was trying to buy a rotary cutter months ago at another Walmart close to my home but there was but one cutter and I noticed it was open in the same area. I did not buy it and left it. Sick! Just be on the look out quilters and check before you buy.
    You've got be be kidding! Now I've heard everything!! :(

Pathetic!!! I can see stealing food to feed a family, but rotary blades? Give me a break. And better surveillence and more security drives the prices up even further than they already are. Viscious cycle, huh? Just waiting for overworked, understaffed help to get locked items when you are in a hurry is also a hassle. Hence - I shop online a lot.

JJs
    Banned
    You do know that Walmart has a gazillion cameras all over the place - what's funny is when you see some "stupid criminal" on the evening news, their whole crime "caught on tape" with everything they did - their faces in plain view... guess they don't see the cameras, huh?

These are probably the same people who aren't getting permission to show their quilts......

Blog Entries
    One time I was in Hancock's Fabric a day before a 50% off notions sale. I was looking through some sale bolts on a table and found packages of rotary blades, seam ripper, sewing machine needles, and some small Omnigrid rulers. The manager says many people come in and hide the notions that sell out first so they can be sure to get them. At least it isn't stealing, the items are paid, for but it was strange that people think like that.

JJs
    Banned
    People do a lot of things that would never ever occur to me - I guess I'm glad I'm naive that way...
    that and the fact that no matter how old I get or how old my mother is (91 and counting) she's STILL standing behind me watching every thing I do LOL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Pathetic!!! I can see stealing food to feed a family, but rotary blades? Give me a break. And better surveillence and more security drives the prices up even further than they already are. Viscious cycle, huh? Just waiting for overworked, understaffed help to get locked items when you are in a hurry is also a hassle. Hence - I shop online a lot.
    I totally agree. If kids need food that is a totally different situation. I wasn't lucky enough to have children, but if I had I would stop at nothing to feed them. Rotary blades??? Use a pair of scissors. I am sure everyone remembers what they were made for...

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Are they going to have to put things like this behind glass just to keep from being robbed blind?
    That's what they do at Fabric depot in Portland. They have one pkg of everything they carry Rotory cutters, spare blades and scissors zip-tied to a pegboard right in front of the Customer service/cutting counter. If you want something you need to ask at the Customer service table and they will get it for you. Pathetic isn't it?
    And you know it wasn't a quilter that took that...
    :roll:

Blog Entries
    We check all packages at Walmart before buying. Stuff is missing all the time. If you walk around you find all kinds of products opened and part missing. Batteries, underware, socks, medications, you name it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast