Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BUYER BE WARE! rotary blades stolen out of packages.

I have been reading this board for several years, and this topic got me to sign up. I had a similar experience with Walmart. One of our stores is remodeling and eleminating fabrics dept.
    I found what I thought was a good price on a rotary mat, until I looked and discovered that it had been used. It can happen in any retail situation.

Blog Entries
    Kind of a sad commentary on our society.

Thanks for the warning. I can't imagine what would provoke people to do such a thing. :evil:

At my LQS someone walked out with one of the display quilts. How they got a complete quilt out the door without someone seeing?????
    They also take the cardboard out of the fabric and steal full bolts.
    So sad because we all pay for this.

I always felt if I stole something, it would break before I could use it, my material would bleed, or something bad would happen.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lance1quilts22
    I always felt if I stole something, it would break before I could use it, my material would bleed, or something bad would happen.
    I felt the same way if I called in sick at work and said my daughter was sick. She always GOT sick!!

Quote Originally Posted by humbird
    Our Walmart packages ends of bolts of fabric by rolling it, and putting a paper around it telling how much fabric, content of fabric, and price etc. It is always discounted, and on Mon. it is half the discounted price. I had purchased several of the packages at different times and they just left the paper on and put it in my bag. Then one day I purchased 3 or 4 and the checker started ripping the papers off. I asked her why she was doing that. She said people started bringing the papers back in, buying the amount of fab. that was listed, then going to some corner, wrapping it around the new fab, and getting it at a discount! Yep, sick people out there!!
    Yikes, well at least that explains why one assistant did that to me at Jo-Anns one time. It was a real pain because it was a fairly large bolt and she didn't re-wrap it properly. DH and I ended up having to re-do the whole thing at the checkout counter to make it manageable.

It is funny you mentioned that because I saw the same thing at Joann Fabrics the last time I was there. I do not go to often as the store we have here in Florida is not that great. I seem to buy on line with the fabrics I want. Better quality and more of a choice.

I was standing in the check out line at Wal-Mart one day and a women had her merchandise in bags and was heading out the door. There was someone standing at the door and asked her for her receipt,she dug through pockets and her purse then told the individual at the door she must have dropped it and was going back to look for it. She never did come back, she had taken bags to the store with her and bagged merchandise hoping she could get out without anyone checking and she had a cart full of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Quilting Nana
    At my LQS someone walked out with one of the display quilts. How they got a complete quilt out the door without someone seeing?????
    They also take the cardboard out of the fabric and steal full bolts.
    So sad because we all pay for this.
    If you read about how people lose quilts at the lostquilts.com site, there are a bunch of stories about display quilts walking away at stores and shows. People must assume that it's the owner taking the quilt out.

My daughter and I had a garage sale once and a family came in and stole all the christian books my daughter had for sale. Go figure.

Blog Entries
    How about taking the CD out of the plastic wrapped magazine on the magazine stand

This happened to me and to top it off the person asked me not to add olives next time.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3TreeFrog
    I cannot believe the nerve that some people have!

I once worked with this one girl who use to go eat the lunch of other people right out of the staff fridge! She lived beyond her means and didn't care about anyone but herself!

How can they live with themselves?

3Frog

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by navasota320
    My daughter and I had a garage sale once and a family came in and stole all the christian books my daughter had for sale. Go figure.
    Let's hope they read them!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I ran errands today and also picked up a new rotary cutter Friskars Comfort grip $15.97 at the local Walmart. Not till I was home did I notice that one edge of the plastic form fitted package (the hinge part) was cut open. I was a little distressed and tried to get the cutter out through just that opening. No problem, I could easily remove the rotary cutter and slip it back in through the opening. I examined it and looked if it had been used. There was no lint or anything on it and it did not show wear. Now the test. I tried to cut some quilting quality fabric. Nothing! It did not cut anything. I pushed and went back and forth. Still no cut fabric at all. It appears to me that some one bought this cutter, took it home, cut the hing part off the plastic mold around the cutter, slipped the cutter out and switched blades, then brought it back to the store. Ugh!!!!! Lets hope it is not a quilter. I thought as a whole we were pretty nice and decent people. I also think this person has been doing it more often because I was trying to buy a rotary cutter months ago at another Walmart close to my home but there was but one cutter and I noticed it was open in the same area. I did not buy it and left it. Sick! Just be on the look out quilters and check before you buy.
    I would take it back to store & tell them you are a good customer & what has happen. They should give you another one. Bought the kids a DVD one night & took it home & opened the case after I got all that tape stuff. No DVD. Someone had slipped open the bottom tape & stole it. They gave me another one but was a pain to have to go back that same night. DGK's were having a fit to see that movie. :thumbdown:

I once worked with this one girl who use to go eat the lunch of other people right out of the staff fridge! She lived beyond her means and didn't care about anyone but herself!

3Frog
    Somebody should have set her up with some good old habenero or scotch bonnets peppers. They will burn the hair off your toes.
    It may come down to like Office Depot does. You take the paper tag to check out & they get the product out of the lock up for you.

Blog Entries
    Our Harbor Freight is out of town, so I made a trip to check out the carpet blades. They were all gone, but they had two cutters. One of the cutters had the spare blade missing. Someone slipped it out of the package. Good grief. Sad. I want to be honest with my dealings with my fellow man and want to be treated the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by Earleen
    This happened to me and to top it off the person asked me not to add olives next time.

3Frog

Or a hefty dose of laxative!

My daughter bought an expensive Rowenta iron at Target and when she opened it at home, there was a cheap Black and Decker in the box. She did get an exchange.

Blog Entries
    I once worked for K Mart and while they were training me, they showed me all the things you have to check beause people try to take things free. like putting ladies panties inside a thurmos bottle, or hiding things in the folds of blankets that are in zippered plastic bags. I would never have thought of things like this. I guess I don't have a criminal mindset. glad I don't but a guy can get robbed blind if they don't check everything.

Quote Originally Posted by judykay
    Contact Fiscars and tell them you have a new blade that won't cut, I would not tell them about the packaging though. I think they will replace it as I had some go rusty on me and they replaced them.

Judy in Michigan
    DH was sure to take it in the same day and return it. He wanted it back to the store asap because he was scared they might else think we did it. He pointed it out and let them know what had happend. Then he got me another one that was packaged differently. (the long stick type not the ergo dynamic) I am just glad they gave our money back.

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Mc

3Frog
    Somebody should have set her up with some good old habenero or scotch bonnets peppers. They will burn the hair off your toes.
    It may come down to like Office Depot does. You take the paper tag to check out & they get the product out of the lock up for you.
    Hahahaha!

Well actually my nephew had a problem in ellementary school with a bully always stealing his goodie out of the nephew's lunch box. His family replaced the chocolate treat with something that was chocolate but was really a lacative. That cured that bully kid!

Blog Entries
    [quote=3TreeFrog]I cannot believe the nerve that some people have! once worked with this one girl who use to go eat the lunch of other people right out of the staff fridge! She lived beyond her means and didn't care about anyone but herself!
    ---------------------------------------
    Had that problem once many years ago. So I made a very luscious looking chocolate covered cup cake and put it in my lunch. Lunch time came and no cupcake. So watched for the next few hours to see who did a quick step to the rest room.
    I found that Ex-Lax worked nicely when warmed slightly and spread on top of a plain cupcake.
    Don't know if it has chocolate in it now or not, but that might work again these days.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brookemarie19
    I just told my husband about this and he told me that it is happenning with everything. His friend bought a ink cartridge from walmart and got it home to find that it had been opened and switched also. It is so sad that society seems to think this is ok to do now.
    ------------------------------
    Just went to Staples for 2 new ink jet packages. They come in
    a hard, sealed package that only the clerk can open, and very
    likely have an anti-theft alarm should they be taken out the door.
    And I don't blame them in the least.

I didn't read everyone's replies but I would take it back, your slip will have the date on it and they would know you couldn't dull a blade that fast. Good luck.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast