Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: BUYER BE WARE! rotary blades stolen out of packages.

There was a story a few years ago of a person who had bought an expensive electronic device like a video camera. When he got it home and opened the box, someone had swapped the insides for junk, and he went back to the store to get his money back. The store didn't believe him. He had to make a very big deal about it.

That explains the high cost of those tiny little blades.

Doesn't surprise me none....people r so heartless any more....SAD!

How sad! At the JoAnns I work at, someone bought a new iron, and brought it back with the old one in it. They said they never opened it, so the manager DIDNT LOOK, and you guesses it, someone bought it, and they
    were so mad.
    Sad that you cant trust people anymore!
    LOVED the Criminal Minds story........VERY ironic!

Our Walmart packages ends of bolts of fabric by rolling it, and putting a paper around it telling how much fabric, content of fabric, and price etc. It is always discounted, and on Mon. it is half the discounted price. I had purchased several of the packages at different times and they just left the paper on and put it in my bag. Then one day I purchased 3 or 4 and the checker started ripping the papers off. I asked her why she was doing that. She said people started bringing the papers back in, buying the amount of fab. that was listed, then going to some corner, wrapping it around the new fab, and getting it at a discount! Yep, sick people out there!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    My sister works at a women's clothing store and they won't spend the money on cameras, they expect the staff to watch people. Kinda hard when only 2 people are working :(

Even stealing for food, they want the deluxe, had a lady bring back an item once made mention of feeding kids, was going to buy a pizza :( A couple of us bought about 10. of other items and never gave refund. Never came back hope she thought about it. One thing if Peanut Butter, Jelly, & Bread another thing when its an expensive steak. First item I'd buy for you, the second off to jail you go. Yes, stealing is stealing and not right, but sometimes compassion goes a long way towards stopping a problem. Just my opinion :)
    Whew I'll get off the box now!!

It's terrible. People will steal anything.

Blog Entries
    You're right about people stealing anything. At a national quilt show a couple of years ago two "ladies" were looking through a quilting book - at least that's what it looked like they were doing. In reality one was downloading the book, page by page, on her cell phone while her friend held out the pages. SOME NERVE!! I did rat them out to the vendor and she watched for them to do it again, but I don't know if she caught them.

Blog Entries
    The new smart phones pics are as clear and sharp as the printed page. My DD has a digital camera that looks just like a regular ink pen. She uses it to save receipts when she travels for her job. One vendor told me at Paducah quilt show that if a person was caught taking pictures of the quilts in the vendor booths without permission or hand sketching a quilt, they could be banned from the show. I take pictures of all my important papers and download to a flash drive for safe keeping using my IPhone. I also take pictures of old photographs I have of family.

Wow. Who thinks up this stuff? I must be terminally honest because I don't think I could dream up a way to steal even if I wanted to.

Gladstone, Oregon by way of Washington(the state)
    Catrancher, I'm with you on the terminally honest. I feel that I work hard for what I have and I have no problem turning in someone that steals. It's too bad that our society has come to that. But Karma will prevail!!! Maybe not today or tomorrow but it WILL happen. What comes around goes around.

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Thanks for telling us! I will be sure to inspect packages I buy now. Never would of thought of this, but then, I don't steal.

They are probably watching the shows and getting more ideas.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good candidate for "Dumb & Dumber"!:-)

I found empty DVD cases hidden under some of our bead boxes on the shelf one day ---- 3 seasons of a TV show------ Show was get this ----- "Criminal Minds!" Two weeks later... I found 2 more empty DVD cases of ---- you guessed it ---- the next two seasons of the show for "Criminal Minds"!!!!

Sorry, but the irony of that just made me laugh!

The best one I know....... My friend bought a Bernina 1630 a couple of years ago. Any Bernina people kow they had a lot of trouble with that machine. My friend finally got her money back after several returns to the company. Three months later, she got a phone call from a lady in California asking about the 1630. She had bought it new but found the mailing label on the bottom of the foot peddle that my friend had put there. Never did find out the outcome of that one.

I used to work retail and could tell some horror stories about what people steal. The gals who worked in sheets, pillows etc were always finding package wrappings stuffed in the back of the shelves. All the way from expensive electronics to candy bar wrappers. Disgusting. Never will forget once a guy tried to walk out the service doors in the back room with a big screen TV. Luckily someone asked for the receipt and the guy bolted. It was just sickening to see all the theft going on. Security was always catching someone shoplifting. The store did prosecute though so that did help a bit.

Blog Entries
    thats just plain WRONG...gee whiz

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Prices are high enough and theft just makes them even higher :(

I just told my husband about this and he told me that it is happenning with everything. His friend bought a ink cartridge from walmart and got it home to find that it had been opened and switched also. It is so sad that society seems to think this is ok to do now.

I think that as long as the economy is down, the theft is only going to get worse -- not because people are more needy, (what they are stealing are not necessities) but because they can use the economy for an excuse. Does that sound like I'm jaded about mankind?? I guess I am. Wish I wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    One time I was in Hancock's Fabric a day before a 50% off notions sale. I was looking through some sale bolts on a table and found packages of rotary blades, seam ripper, sewing machine needles, and some small Omnigrid rulers. The manager says many people come in and hide the notions that sell out first so they can be sure to get them. At least it isn't stealing, the items are paid, for but it was strange that people think like that.
    Many years ago I attended a class by a relatively well known sewing personality. This person liked to embellish ready made items & explained how to go to a favorite store before a sale, hide the items wanted & go back on the day of the sale to buy them.

Blog Entries
    Contact Fiscars and tell them you have a new blade that won't cut, I would not tell them about the packaging though. I think they will replace it as I had some go rusty on me and they replaced them.

Judy in Michigan

Thats awful. Thanks for letting us know

I returned a wart remover kit to Walmart before- it was missing the pads to put over the medicated disc. When I finished other shopping, and went to get a new one, I found the one I had just returned already back on the shelf- I opened to check that everything was there, and there were ne pads! Now I always check everything that can be opened, and make sure other thongs are sealed all the way!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast