Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your favorite washing machine? >

What is your favorite washing machine?

What is your favorite washing machine?

Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM

Default What is your favorite washing machine?

We are on well water with a high iron content. Anyone relate?? I need to shop for a new machine.
Thanks
Sandy
Old 04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Do your clothes get rusty?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

When I had iron water my favorite machine was the one at the laundromat. Nothing I used kept the Iron form staining my clothing. My second favorite machine was an old wringer. I caught rain water to use in it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Do your clothes get rusty?
We are finally getting the washer hookup installed. I don't know what the quality of washing is yet.
Sandy
Old 04-26-2012, 12:20 PM
BMP

All I can say is I hate front loaders, mine is just a few years old and I am getting rid of it !!!! I am going back to a top loader ! I must admit that the front loaders look nice but it ends there !
Old 04-26-2012, 01:48 PM

If you have well water, do you have a water softener? I would NOT be without one. We have well water with high iron content and have no problems with rust stains on our clothes. I have had a Maytag top loader for 25 years and have only had to have it serviced (minor repairs) a couple of times. It has been a wonderful machine. But...since it and the dryer are getting so old, I am going to look into replacing them this summer. Going to try front loaders. I guess if I don't like them, I will not keep them very long.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39 PM

I got a Maytag top loader a couple years ago and I love it. I'm still using my older Kenmore dryer, have had it about 20 years or so and it is still going strong. I've not really heard anything good about the newer front loaders and some of them take a special washing powder to use which is very expensive.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:42 PM

My Sears Kenmore is @21years old! Its still going strong and I have had no repairs on it, yet! It will be time to replace the set and I am looking at a top loader....front loaders really don't impress me that much!
Old 04-26-2012, 02:57 PM

I lived on a well that also had very high iron content. I would not have survived , nor my clothes if not for my water softner. I used special salt that had Iron Out in the salt. I could tell the minute the softner was out of salt. I think any machine will perform if the water being supplied to it is treated.
A freind of mine has one of the new front load high efficency washers , and told me that there are times when they take clothes out of the washer( if it a small load) , and some parts of the load are still dry.
At my current home , I do not need a water softner . My suburb converted to lake water.. if you lived close I would gladly give you my water softener.

Last edited by Lori S; 04-26-2012 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM

I live in N Florida and have the same thing. We had a filter system put in and this last one I really like. Bought a new washer and found out I DO NOT LIKE these new washers. I know it is more efficient, saves water, blah, blah; still don't like it.

I've always used GE, Hotpoint and Maytag. We have a Maytag now and it does a good job, just doesn't let me mess around with the water level.

Good luck!

delma