Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What is your favorite washing machine? >

What is your favorite washing machine?

What is your favorite washing machine?

Old 04-28-2012, 04:36 AM

I had Maytag front loader in my previous house - bought new 4 years ago and I absolutely HATED it!! After a few times, it started to smell - bad - I don't think they drain well enough. I started filling the rinse tray with vinegar and that helped the smell some. I see now they have a new product for this so guess I am not the only one who had this issue. Moved last month to a new house and had to buy all new appliances - did NOT get a front loader - stayed with Maytag though, problem wasn't the brand, it was the front load part
Old 04-28-2012, 05:52 AM

When we moved to our retirement home a year and 1/2 ago, we bought the "latest and greatest' for conserving water and so on. So, we have a front loader. It doesn't have enough "oomph" to spin out the water when I do bathroom rugs. So I can wash one rug at a time and listen to it moan and groan. Or I can go to a laundromat, or go to my Mom's. Hers is an old top load Westinghouse that someone gave her over 20 years ago because they wanted a new one. So new isn't always better. I want my old top load Maytag back! Salvation Army took it away when we moved, so someone has a good machine.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine View Post
I got a Maytag top loader a couple years ago and I love it. I'm still using my older Kenmore dryer, have had it about 20 years or so and it is still going strong. I've not really heard anything good about the newer front loaders and some of them take a special washing powder to use which is very expensive.
I have a GE front loader and I too hate it. It sometimes doesn't wring the water out of the clothes very good. Next time we are getting a HE top loader. As for "special" washing soap, I use the homemade Dugger recipe soap. It is low sudsing, low cost, and gets the clothes clean
Old 04-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Hate, hate, hate my front loader for all the reasons already mentioned! Got it because we moved to a house with a septic system, but I'd never get another one. I'm keeping it for now because my elderly mother recently moved in with us. She really likes being able to do her own laundry--a top loader is too tall for her to use--so the washer has a reprieve for the time being .
Old 04-28-2012, 10:21 AM

I had a the same Maytag top loading washing machine for 25 years using it for a family of 8. It finally washed it's last load a couple months ago. I now have a Speed Queen top loading washer. It is a simple one without a computer in it. It does a beautiful job.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:30 AM

I got a Maytag top of the line front loader 2 years ago with a matching dryer. My clothes have never been cleaner - use the Dugger home made soap- electric bill immediately went down. Can't praise them enough! No odor problem at all - lots of power.

Last edited by TanyaL; 04-28-2012 at 10:35 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:54 AM

To me, you can't beat Kenmore/Whirlpool products! Have had many appliances, and never any trouble with any of em!
Old 04-28-2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by Sew N Tune View Post
I have a top loading Maytag and I hate it. Very noisy, and gears sound like they are going any day now. Cold water just trickles in. Think my favorite were Kenmore's.
Check the little screen filter, where your cold water hose connects. You can just take it off and clean it (make sure you put it back on); there may be silt or mineral deposits, clogging the screening.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:21 PM

I've had my front loader for years and haven't had any problems with it. It takes HE detergent and I buy Tide. It doesn't cost any more than any othe Tide.
Old 04-28-2012, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
We are on well water with a high iron content. Anyone relate?? I need to shop for a new machine.
Thanks
Sandy
We had Iron water for a couple years till I got sick of everything turning orange from the iron in our water,first off I suggest if you can afford it get your water tested to see what type of a water softener system you would need.Depending on how bad it is will depend on what you will need for a softener.Until we got ours I had to use powdered bleach with borax and soap. We also had just a top loading washer .Now we have a front loader and I would never go back to a top loader because of the amount of water it uses so the water softener is not as taxed.We use less to wash our clothes then the softener goes thru to regenerate itself