Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011? >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

Old 10-24-2011, 12:16 PM

We go camping with family and friends almost every Thanksgiving. Started doing this before we were married and have every since (for probably 36 years!). There have been a few we didn't go camping and our kids would say (re: a traditional at home Thanksgiving)--"this is boring! Let's go camping next year!" This year there will be us in our RV, our daughter and her family, including 3 grandbabies (4 yr, 19 mon, and 5 months), her in-laws, maybe our son and grandson for a nite or two, and friends. We all eat Thanksgiving dinner outside and have turkey, dressing and the whole works( we all chip in and share food). We will be camping at San Elijo State Beach in Cardiff, CA!!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by katiebear1
Our family is scattered all over the country( our kids and my sister and BIL in Denver, My DH siblings in Oregon, California and Texas. The holidays are really hard for me. I struggle with clinical depression and I just miss the family SOOO much. I just want to get through the holidays. I tried to get in the spirit last year and put up a little tree and some decorations, but it just made it worse. I wish I could fast forward to the new year :cry:

Katiebear,
I am so sorry that you struggle so during what for most of us is the most wonderful time of the year. Unfortunately, today too many families have scattered throughout the country making getting together very difficult if not impossible, especially in light of the recession. I am in the same position. Then there are our military families that are separated at the holidays as well. I personally remember well when I served in the Woman’s Army Corp during the Vietnam War and was unable to be home celebrating the holidays with my five sisters and two brothers. I know that your suffering is real and please know that you will be in my thoughts and prayers throughout this holiday season. I am not in any way making light of your situation and/or illness but I hope you will take my following suggestions with the love, hugs and the sincerity that they are given.

Please consider helping out or attending a local community holiday meal. You will find yourself surrounded by others in your very same situation; and might even make new long-lasting friendships. If you can volunteer your services to participate in making and/or serving at such an event, your thoughts will be caught up in the act of being of service to others (my husband and I have done just this over past holidays).

Decorate the house, dress up and invite friends and or neighbors that are alone; the elderly etc, and make a big to do of the holidays. Invite them for a holiday meal, hold a Christmas cookie swap, or have a tree decorating party where you supply the food and your guests supply a decoration for the tree. This too can be the start of new lasting friendships and new holiday traditions.

Dress up, go out to dinner and take a long ride admiring the Christmas lights.

Select a star from a local tree for a child in need and go shopping for him or her. Shop, wrap and donate gifts for your local collection center for needy children (they need not be expensive, they may even be homemade); or food to a local soup kitchen or collection center.

Get some friends together and go Christmas caroling at your local hospital, nursing home, or out around the neighborhood.

Bring a box of cards to a local nursing home and help the residents address them to family and/or long lost friends.

These are just some ideas, and I am sure that there are many others that members can share finding themselves in the same position. Is it the same as sharing the holidays with love ones….no of course not……but hopefully it can make the holidays less depressing and painful for you.

God Bless You and know that I care.
Nancy
:-D :-D :-D
Old 10-25-2011, 07:15 AM

I've been training my 22 yr old daughter for the past 3 yrs to cook that meal by herself. She was a late bloomer in the fact that she never wanted to learn to cook; all 4 of her brothers loved it; now she does as well. This is her first year in her new apartment with her kids and she's fixing the meal. I get to enjoy myself this time. Then in the late afternoon I'll go to my ex's house to visit with them. His wife and I are best friends and everyone in her house are always running in and out and she ends up in the kitchen by herself while others are eating and watching TV. This way she has someone to talk to and enjoy the holiday with as well.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 AM

Over the years I have too suffered depression during the holiday season. We have family to be with but it is just the expectations of perfection I preceive. One of our traditions is to be Santa for someone. We pick a family that is having a tough year (death, job loss, illness). This is not picking a family through a charity. It is a family totally not expecting anything. We buy gifts, wrap and do the ol ding dong ditch with the stuff. Over the years our kids have really enjoyed this. Yes Santa is real, he just doesn't always dress in a red suit.

For Thanksgiving this year my sister and I are taking a road trip to NY. We will be delivering some furniture. My sister has not traveled much so this is going to be like a country folk meeting Manhattan. I love to travel and SHe is getting so excited. On the other hand there will be 2 DH with adult children fending for themselves.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:08 AM

We are going home! At 47 years old, that still makes me feel like a kid. My Dad is 72 so I try to get home for one holiday a year, never know when it will be too late. Thanksgiving is also the only holiday this year hubby and I are off. So ROAD TRIP!! :)