Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011? >

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

What are your plans for Thanksgiving 2011?

Old 10-20-2011, 03:37 PM

Are invited just down the road to or oldest son and his wife

our daughter and son-in-law and family and their significant others and our youngest son and histhree sons. I will be making squash, elderberry pie, pumpkin pie and apple pie. Our oldest son's daughter and her 2 sons (4 & 2 ) wll be there. Sat. night we'll be there for their Christmas while she is home from Ohio. Busy but fun!!!!
Old 10-20-2011, 03:43 PM
QM
Power Poster

In our town, there is a free turkey dinner open to everyone. The local stores donate the turkeys. Many people also bring their spcialty dishes. Usually there are a few blue grass bands performing. The meal is not a charity, although there is a voluntary collection made for the soup kitchen at the door, to which those who can afford always donate. Leftovers go there. The dinner goes on for about 3-4 hours and has the county fairgrounds dining room filled, so one may have to wait for a seat. Local teens help with the buffet serving and with passing out deserts. A former neighbor of ours will also invite us to her family (about 25) dinner. Ours is a very open community, where we have been very happy to live for several years.
Old 10-20-2011, 03:52 PM

we go to St Louis every Thanksgiving to visit my sister and her family. Her and i go shopping very early on black Friday,just because we can. No one gets to go with us and we don't care about traffic, crowds, parking...nothing bothers us....we just gab and laugh!!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:09 PM

I'm waiting to see who invites me. I haven't cooked for Thankksgiving in years. You can call me lazy, I call me smart.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
Well we'll be home. No one has invited my tribe since we went over 5 children. (We are at 14 now) Can't say I blame them. I am not sure what we are cooking but I think it will be mash potatoes, corn, buns, turkey, boiled yams, fresh made cranberries, about a pie a person, green bean casserole, Martinelli apple cider and canned olives.
You have 14 kids? And are still able to quilt. You're a lot better person than I am. If I had 14 kids I would be insane or in hiding which ever was quicker.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by QM
In our town, there is a free turkey dinner open to everyone. The local stores donate the turkeys. Many people also bring their spcialty dishes. Usually there are a few blue grass bands performing. The meal is not a charity, although there is a voluntary collection made for the soup kitchen at the door, to which those who can afford always donate. Leftovers go there. The dinner goes on for about 3-4 hours and has the county fairgrounds dining room filled, so one may have to wait for a seat. Local teens help with the buffet serving and with passing out deserts. A former neighbor of ours will also invite us to her family (about 25) dinner. Ours is a very open community, where we have been very happy to live for several years.
Doesn't this sound wonderful, a nice town. Might want to move there.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:36 PM

Usually go over to my sister's and we do some hand quilting after dinner when everybody else goes to sleep. lol.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:04 AM

We will be working at our church making food for those that maybe don't have any family or anywhere to go for Thanksgiving. Have been doing this for last 4 years and really enjoy the smiles of our "family" that comes for the meal. Turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, squash, corn and pumpkin dessert or apple pie. yum yum
Old 10-24-2011, 12:08 PM

My plans were to go to Frankenmuth Michigan. It's a german themed town. Opening ceremonies for the holidays. Great food,wine,cheese, and the biggest Christmas store ever.

We go every other year up until now. Dear daughter has a job that she can't take off for. So we are staying home with the hope of friends and family stopping by.If not that's ok too. We can enjoy a quiet holiday every now and again.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by JBeamer
Originally Posted by QM
Doesn't this sound wonderful, a nice town. Might want to move there.
Absolutely!!!! Me too!!!