Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wild grapes = jelly

Wild grapes = jelly

I went and picked wild grapes today. About 20 pounds worth. I will wash and clean them later, cook them up and use the juice to make jelly. The deep purple I get is awesome, and the jelly is the best. I give the jelly as gifts throughout the year.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"Small deeds done are better than great deeds planned"
    Peter Marshall

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that
    take our breath away". - Hilary Cooper
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/2HartsCreations?ref=si_shop

I tried making jelly a couple of years ago and it didn't thicken. What do you use to make sure it thickens? I am on the process right now of canning green beans. The pressure regulator has been rocking about 10 minutes and I have about 15 minutes left.

I use Sure Jell powder kind.

Peter Marshall

I love home canned jellies. I cooked and juiced black cherry's last week for jelly. I usually make my jelly early fall or last summer. When it cools down.

you are lucky, we have wild grapes around here but they have NO flavor. I do love making jelly with blackberries or apples/crabapples.

Here is a tip, I keep a ziploc bag in my freezer all year, when I cut up apples for something, I throw the cores in the bag. When I make blackberry jelly, I put the apple cores in and cook it all together. Adds pectin and makes the jelly jell. I don't like to spend any more money than I have to.

Blog Entries
    grapes don't need surjel. they have plenty of natural pectin to jell without it.

We used to do this too. I love to make homemade grape jelly. My mother would also just can the juice in quart jars whe I was a kid. She would open a jar and pour the juice into a pitcher, add some water and sugar, and we would have the best grape juice in the world. Much better than Kool-Aid.

Where did you get your grapes? I've been wanting to make grape jelly again, but I can't find anyone in my area who has wild grapes. The heat and drought of the last couple of summers have prevented the grapes from making. But when I find some, I will definitely make my jelly!
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Blog Entries
    didn't you die any fabric with that wonderful deep purple.?????
    SMILE- it will make everyone wonder what you are up to.
    Stay strong and keep looking up.

Quote Originally Posted by ShowMama View Post
    We used to do this too. I love to make homemade grape jelly. My mother would also just can the juice in quart jars whe I was a kid. She would open a jar and pour the juice into a pitcher, add some water and sugar, and we would have the best grape juice in the world. Much better than Kool-Aid.

Where did you get your grapes? I've been wanting to make grape jelly again, but I can't find anyone in my area who has wild grapes. The heat and drought of the last couple of summers have prevented the grapes from making. But when I find some, I will definitely make my jelly!
    I'm close to Dallas. We have lots of wild grapes here

Peter Marshall

Quote Originally Posted by Ccorazone View Post
    I'm close to Dallas. We have lots of wild grapes here
    Well, my DD & DSIL live south of Waxahachie. I may just have to send them over to your area to see if they can find some. Thanks.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...B5F8C60F07.png
    There is no snooze button on a hungry cat!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast