Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Wrapped thread

Blog Entries

Wrapped thread

I don't know if anyone else has ever run into this, and in a way it is a lesson to be learned.. I use an office chair with rollers for sitting and sewing, the other day when I was cleaning my sewing room,(which I call my garage) I moved the chair and saw some thread strings on the bottom of the roller, so turning the chair over I saw what a mess I had, I am one that usually misses the waste basket, and never think about it, anyway the thread around the roller was a mess, looked just like the brushes on my vacuum cleaner, I spent a good hour with the scissors and tweezers getting it out of all 5 rollers, so from now on I am going to either hit the waste basket more or check the bottom of the rollers more, just which one I think of first..

Blog Entries
    i feel your pain. perhaps you can make yourself one of those thread catcher baskets for next to your machine... easier to get the threads into.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i feel your pain. perhaps you can make yourself one of those thread catcher baskets for next to your machine... easier to get the threads into.

I have the same problem. I find that when I tape a little lunch-size paper bag to the front of the sewing table, I do a better job of containing threads. GEtting threads into the wastebasket is nearly impossible.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Blog Entries
    I keep a roll of painter's tape handy. Roll it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on a convenient place. It's easy to just touch threads to the tape and have them stick. When the roll is filled with threads I throw it out and create a new one. This works better for me than thread bags.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I keep a roll of painter's tape handy. Roll it around my hand a couple of times, sticky side out, and stick it on a convenient place. It's easy to just touch threads to the tape and have them stick. When the roll is filled with threads I throw it out and create a new one. This works better for me than thread bags.
    Prism, What a simple, fabulous, "DOH!" idea!

About the rolling chair....I thought that's what the rollers were actually for!!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I've had issues with my vacuum and threads - now I try to hit the garbage more often - and before I vacuum I pick up as much loose thread as I can. Never thought to look at the rollers on my chair - guess that is a project for tomorrow.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Prism, What a simple, fabulous, "DOH!" idea!

About the rolling chair....I thought that's what the rollers were actually for!!

Jan in VA
    If the thread wraps around the chair casters it keeps them from wrapping around the brush bar on my vacuum !
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

sap
    guess I'm lazy, don't seem to have enough time to make a thread catcher. I put a piece of scrap corduroy on the corner of my sewing machine. static electricity holds the threads and when my project is finished I put the threads in the trash.