Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
adding a quilting forum to my life >

adding a quilting forum to my life

adding a quilting forum to my life

Old 11-21-2007, 06:24 AM

:D I've been on miniature horse forums for years--and have posted my quilts on the "Back Porch" there--but I need a place I can ask questions.

I've been quilting for years--it brings me great joy. It fills in those everything else is done now what do I do moments. Well, okay, so the quilting often happens before every else is done. I've made many many ragged flannels--their ease fits in with my brain dead moments after teaching all day. I have many of the quilts I've done on a website page. The site is primarily for horses, but the quilts are tucked in on the next to last page. :wink:

I'll try my questions here, then roam around to find a better place for them.
Here's my first in case anyone wants to take a try at it here: I just finished a wall hanging--and it's quite wide, so I made a hanging sleeve for it. It's not sewed on yet. I haven't done a wall hanging in some time (refreshing to work on something so small!! :-) ) but I do know the sleeve gets in the way of the nails used to hang it. Or are two nails, one on each end, enough if a thicker dowl is used? I'm guessing it's 50 inches wide--about 20 inches top to bottom.

My 2nd question is how do you all sell your quilts? Ebay is crazy with the low prices. I'd rather keep them all for my kids when they move into their own homes (they're 17 and 20), or for grandkids--who had better not show up for at least 5 years. :D But since I don't plan on stopping quilting--I'd like to sell a few.

Thanks for any help! I'll be hanging around more!! Going to roam now...

Karla
Old 11-21-2007, 06:38 AM

Hello barnbum,

It's nice to meet you and welcome to the group. Looking forward to getting to know you, and seeing your beautiful quilting. :)
Old 11-21-2007, 06:58 AM

Welcome!
There's lots of ideas and inspiration here. If you use the Search function at the top of the page, you can type in selling quilts, and see what some members are doing. There don't seem to be a lot of outlets where you can get a fair price in some parts of the country.

We also have a Pictures section, in case you'd like to share some of your little friends.
Old 11-21-2007, 09:53 AM

Welcome to this forum, I hang quilts in my dining room all the time. I purchased a fancy curtain rod and put it up on the wall. That is how I hang my small quilts or wallhangings. The rod works perfect.
Also I sell some of my stuff at the local gift and craft shop. They sell a lot of my tablerunners, placemats and wallhangings. I find it difficult to get as much money for them as I think they are worth but at least I enjoy making new and different things so I usually get the money back from what I spent on the fabric, batting etc. Marge in Pa.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 AM

Welcome to the Board Barnbum! We have lots of answers here - some are even serious ones! lol :wink:
You might contact a local interior designer about selling your quilts. Seems like they might need some.
Looking forward to seeing some of your work!