Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
hi from south africa >

hi from south africa

hi from south africa

Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 AM

I am a relatively new quilter but am definately hooked - frustrated and often confused but definately hooked.

We have some lovely quilting shops here with fabric that makes you itch to have and the quilters themselves are super - such generous spirits rescuing my rather often mishaps! :oops:

I have done a beginners sampler quilt which was fab and have tried various other quilts (already have UFO's), but am particularly interested in English paper piercing - other shapes than the hexagonal (done a couple of those already). Does anyone know of an internet site where there are patterns for these or if there is a book with patterns in (I would need lots of detail eg ISBN number so I can order here).

Any other sites that have detailed explanations of "how-to" would be greatly appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you all

Ruth
:D
Old 12-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Boo

I did a quick Google search, but didn't have time to look them over. The second once says 'free pattern' so you may want to check these out. :D

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=English+paper+piecing
Old 12-17-2006, 05:57 AM

Thank you very much - the sites were brilliant - particularly liked the free graph paper site ... the other one I had was not nearly as good.

Thanks again :D

Ruth
Old 12-18-2006, 12:55 PM

Do you live in So Africa? I'm impressed. So far away. How long have you lived there? Is it as beautiful as we so often hear about? Where at in So Africa? I'm curious about your flowers, As to what kind, their colors, etc, If you don't mind sharing I'd like to know.

Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM

Hi

South Africa is an amazing place - I was originally born in Kenya (still have family there), educated in UK and started work in London. I missed Africa too much and came to SA about 20 years ago.

The wide open spaces, sunshine and blue skies get into your blood and the people are diverse but fantastic. The wildlife is as varied as they show you on TV - just not a easy to find as they make out - sometimes they give the impression that you have a lion on each doorstep!

The flowers - well I'm not an expert, but we have the range of fauna due to our varied climate - we have the deserts in the west of SA, to the Snow in the Drakensburg & Lesotho mountains on the east, to dry savannah in the north and further south in the middle of SA and then down in the cape the weather is very much like the UK.

I have found 2 websites that you might like to look at - sorry don't know how to link the files ... www.southafrica.net and www.questconnect.org/africa_sa.htm.

Also in 2008 we will be having a big Quilting Exhibition with I believe a lot of international teachers and visitors coming to - not sure yet of all the details but it would be great if some of you could make it!

Where are you from Becky?

Ruth
Old 12-20-2006, 02:56 AM

Ruth

I'm from the State of Georgia. To be exact I live in Hiram, Ga. It's about 35-40 miles NW of Atlanta.I've been quilting for 15 yrs. No I'm not even close to a expert quilter. I'm self taught and I've learned from many, many, mistakes. I make applique quilts, I create a picture and or a theme on my quilts. I draw most of my own designs and make my own patterns. I don't really like to copy someone else's pattern, To me quilting is about createing. Reflections of ones self. I use to only hand quilt, but for about the last few years I combine machine and hand quilting. That way I get my quilts done faster.
I think you live in an amazing and beautiful place. I'm a big animal lover and yes I picture you living in a place that you just look out your back door and see Lions, Elephants, Zebras, and all of God's creation. But besides that the land scape of Africa, the sunsets, the flowes and the people. WOW it takes my breath away to think about all the beauty that surrounds you. I'm sure you behold some real BEAUTY. Thank you for the web sites, I will look into them. But let me extend a warm welcome to this forum, and you will find ALOT of very knowledgeable quilters, and they are eager to help and share. If you have a question or problem with a quilt, just post your question and you'll get an answer with in a short time. You'll make a lot of friends. If I was to pass on any thing of wisdom about quilting it would be (Fear is your biggest enemy). I do hope you'll stay in touch and let me be one of your new Quilting Buddies. Again WELCOME
BECKY
Old 12-22-2006, 11:50 AM

Hi Ruth

I am also from South Africa staying in Secunda and my afrikaans is much better than my english! I would like to tell you that I ordered a book from Rodale Health Books (did you know that quilting is good for your health?)
The first book I received was: The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide. After that there are a few follow ups: Sensational Sets & Birders; Perfect Piecing; Applique Made Easy; Fast & Fun Machine Quilting ect.
Rodale Health Books is in Centurion and their phone number is (011)265-4311. I can really recommend these books. I am a new hooked quilter and enjoy it very much.
Rina
Old 12-22-2006, 08:22 PM

Hi, Ruth Camp has a paper -pieced free pattern on cats you might like. The site is www.catswhoquilt.com/. Also if you have Google you can type in "free paper-pieced patterns" and you can find some to download. My name is Estella. Hope to talk to you again.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:17 PM

Hi everyone

Thanks so much for all the information - Rina I also have some of the Rodale books - they are fab. Rina are you a member of any quilting group? Are you going to the Jan 20th exhibition at the museum of Africa in Newtown (my first competition pink quilt will be up!!) - maybe we could meet up?

Estella - thanks for the site - I in the end bought an e-book/file from InstantPiecing.com - started the quilt and it seems to work very well.

Becky thank you for your welcome - would love to stay in touch - you may say that you are not an expert but you sound very knowledgable to me ... I haven't had the courage to self-create yet or try applique quilts - maybe 2007 will be my brave year!!

This forum site is great - so friendly and informative!! Thanks everyone!

Ruth
Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 PM

Ruth

Please take a picture of your quilt for all of us, You go girl, Your first competion, I bet it's a BEAUTY, Make us all proud, I know you will, I wish you the best, I think it's admirable that your in the competion.You can be proud of yourself

THE BEST BECKY