Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Adding more borders after quilting done - What is best method >

Adding more borders after quilting done - What is best method

Adding more borders after quilting done - What is best method

Old 03-21-2011, 08:44 PM

I have border of 3 narrow fabrics, and have had trouble deciding on the binding. I went today and bought more fabric because I wasn't happy with the fabrics I had to use.

In playing with the fabrics (after I brought the new ones home), I decided I would like to add two more narrow borders to what I already have before adding the binding.

I have finished quilting, have plenty of extra backing and batting, but how best to add the new border fabrics. Would one attach to the binding, and added the extra in same step as the binding? I have a little quilting done on the last border fabric, but could remove some stiches, and add the new border fabrics, then finish quilting the borders, and add the binding.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks 8-)
Old 03-21-2011, 09:34 PM

What colors are your quilt? I like contrast.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:38 PM

Is the batting and backing still attached or have you already trimmed it off?
Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 PM
Power Poster

I don't think you would want to add borders as one with binding.

If I were going to do this, I would add borders to the top, zigzag piece additional batting to the existing batting, and add additional fabric to batting if needed -- all separately. Then I would baste and quilt to the edge before adding binding.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM

The batting and backing have not yet been trimmed, and I have plenty of room I could add.

Colors of the quilt are pink and green both bright. These are susposed to be the main colors, but yellow is also a dominant color. There is also blue, orange, red. Main part of quilt is loud and busy. Border is made up of 5/8" dark purple, then 1 1/4" green, and 1 1/4" pink.

I am thinking of making the pink about half the width, and adding another 5/8" purple, then 1" green and do the another fabric as the binding. I am still unsure about binding fabric. It might be a pink/red with yellow dots (a fabric not in the rest of the quilt).

I have also thought of doing a patchwork binding using several of the fabrics. I don't want anything too busy. I think less busy in the border/binding helps the quilt.

Also a problem with adding more borders is I don't have the fabric I used for corners and in middle of the borders with me. So maybe I should just do binding without adding more borders.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:16 AM

If you've already got enough extra batting and backing, it shouldn't be too difficult to add more borders. You would have to unstitch a bit of the quilting on the last border to do so. The hardest part would probably be pressing the seams.

If you run out of matching fabric, you could always try to find a marble or other blender fabric for the binding. It's usually pretty easy to find something that blends and it doesn't have to match exactly.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by sam_98
I have border of 3 narrow fabrics, and have had trouble deciding on the binding. I went today and bought more fabric because I wasn't happy with the fabrics I had to use.

In playing with the fabrics (after I brought the new ones home), I decided I would like to add two more narrow borders to what I already have before adding the binding.

I have finished quilting, have plenty of extra backing and batting, but how best to add the new border fabrics. Would one attach to the binding, and added the extra in same step as the binding? I have a little quilting done on the last border fabric, but could remove some stiches, and add the new border fabrics, then finish quilting the borders, and add the binding.

I did this on a very large king size quilt, because, when I went to do the borders, they were all wonky and weird. I simply just removed the old borders and flip and sewed on the new borders, pressing the seams and then did a quick diagonal pattern on the border, bound it and it was done. Maybe I was just lucky, that I didn't run into any problems doing it this way, but, it was easy.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by sam_98

Since you say you have enough batting and backing to add additional borders I would just add the extra borders you want being careful not to sew on the batting and backing and then once finished would just complete your quilt as you normally would. I generally go for the more simple approach. I don't know if you pin or spray baste but after you added the new borders you could spray baste them and then continue on to quilt what you desire in those new borders, square up and then add your binding. If you want to change the quilting in the border you already have attached, then I would remove the stitching before adding the additional borders. Also if I had decided I didn't like the already attached border where it was I would remove it from the quilt and change it up with the new border fabrics you have purchased. Regardless of what you decide it will take some patience but well worth the finished result. I have been there and done that so I can honestly say it was worth it once the quilt was finished.