Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA >

Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA

Hi from a Husband of a quilter in North Central PA

Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM

Hi! Yes I am a husband of a quilter. We are a special breed for sure. The children are out on their own now so our son’s room is the sewing room, our dining room is now full of sewing stuff including a Juki on a New Joy frame, our living room has a cutting table in it and there is material stuffed everywhere. We travel a lot and somehow manage to find quilt shops in the most obscure places and of course we have to stop, even if it is 40 miles off the beaten path. There is just no escape, they seem to be everywhere. I have been spotted waiting in line at our local Bernina store before they open to catch the early bird specials. Even our local JoAnns staff knows my name!! What I find fascinating is that her sewing machines cost more than the cars we drive. And when I take a day off from work the staff simply say, “Another quilt show huh.” Truth be known I would have it no other way, but don’t tell her that. Since my wife joined this board I have been lurking and find it quite fascinating. It is a great cross section to the everyday life from people throughout the world. You all celebrate the happy times and you are all there to support each other during the rough times. And you don’t seem to care who they are or where they are from. You just all share the same passion, quilting!! I joined because I find sewing machines fascinating so I started collecting them, especially the mid sixties to early seventies Japanese machines. I have been reading the threads on old sewing machines with great interest. I also enjoy the great pictures of the quilts you make (by the way I like bright colors especially yellow). I do not quilt, yet, but who knows I just might. There really is a wealth of information here and you all are so willing to share it. Thank you.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM

Welcome to the board from Southern California!
We may get you to try quilting yet!!!
So nice to hear of a husband that supports his wife's hobby.
Mine is a wonderful supporter however I have yet to get him to a quilt show. He says I will never get him to quilt. So.... I am envious of your wife!!!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Power Poster

I predict that you will be beginning your first quilt quite soon. I think you are quite an awesome husband, your wife is lucky. I think you are probably a very lucky husband also.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM

Welcome! Glad you've decided to join us! Just want you to know your wife is a very lucky lady, having such a supportive hubby!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Hi and welcome to the board. May I ask what your wife' s board name is. We are a family here. All the men and women we seem to share our lives with each other.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Power Poster

Hello and Welcome from Northern Indiana ! Glad you joined us :lol:

We have several make quilters here and Billy who is a wealth of info on the older machines :wink:

here is a link to the area with vintage machines

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-43881-1.htm
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

Welcome!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:38 PM

Hi and welcome from the sunny state of Florida!!
So glad to hear the other side! My DH wants to retire, but has no outside hobbies and I offered to show him how to sew. So far he has taken me up on the offer and I haven't let him retire either. Watching TV ALL day isn't a hobby!! You're definitely a rare breed!!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Google Goddess

Welcome!
Old 08-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Hi and welcome to the board. May I ask what your wife' s board name is. We are a family here. All the men and women we seem to share our lives with each other.
It's me, nursie76, I am the lucky wife of "husband-of-a-quilter".
He really is my better half, no doubt about it...was just "consulting with him on colors for the border of a quilt a little while ago.
Maybe you folks can help me convince him to learn to quilt 8-)