Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Which machines should I consider? >

Which machines should I consider?

Which machines should I consider?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 PM

Default Which machines should I consider?

Hello :-)

I am new to this site and pretty new to quilting as well. I'm from New Jersey, and I am a first year teacher. I also crochet and am much better at that than quilting, lol.

I have been quilting by hand, but would like to try it with a machine. I don't have one, so I'm looking for advice. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to buy a hunk of junk either. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Randi
Old 11-09-2011, 05:14 PM

I know the brand I would suggest but that would make it too easy for you. First, write down what you want in a machine. Just wanting it to 'sew' isn't enough anymore. I love Janome. A Janome 6600P has about everything anyone could want, 9" harp and thread cutter allows greater easy in quilting. Has the accufeed and is just wonderful.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:01 PM

Welcome. I'm new to this site too. Like Jdiane318 I recommend making a list. Then go to dealers. Janomes are very reliable and prices range from $500 - $2000. Happy sewing.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

welcome from minnesota and happy quilting. there are lots of good machines. go to a dealer and try a few. i have mostly inexpensive ones, so can't help much
Old 11-09-2011, 08:56 PM

Welcome from western Pa. I love Viking's but I didn't start out with that. Go take some test drives,and see what they have to offer.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:52 PM

Hello and Welcome
Old 11-09-2011, 09:58 PM

A big welcome from the eastern part of Texas.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post
Hello :-)

I am new to this site and pretty new to quilting as well. I'm from New Jersey, and I am a first year teacher. I also crochet and am much better at that than quilting, lol.

I have been quilting by hand, but would like to try it with a machine. I don't have one, so I'm looking for advice. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to buy a hunk of junk either. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Randi
First, try it on your current machine. Make a one block sample and sandwich together with batting and backing. baste (hand or machine) and then....drop feed dogs or cover them, even old machines often have feed dog covers available for a couple of bucks... now sketch something simple on your sample, just so you have something to follow.... most IMPORTANT...put presser foot in DOWN position (just as if you were going to sew normally...it must be down to sew properly). now move your sample...remember with this style of machine quilting it is like writing by moving the paper under your pencil... it can be difficult to get the hang of at first but a little persistence will pay off quickly.... Carol Bryer Fallert? heard of her? she did all her quilts this way for decades...may still be, i just haven't seen anything lately...but at the very least, this will give you an idea if this style is for you. you do not have to have an expensive machine to quilt block by block and get some lovely effects.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/about/publicity_pictures.htm

m
ade me curious so i went to check out caryl's website and sure enough, she has a new machine but is still choosing to use this process....check it out..

Last edited by deemail; 11-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan.
Old 11-10-2011, 04:42 AM
Banned

You can get a Jem Platinum for under $500.
It's a great little machine
I bought it to take to workshops, sew-ins etc because it's lightweight - about 13 lbs
The Jem Gold is also a good machine and would be a bit cheaper

Almost forgot to say Welcome