View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 12:02 AM
deemail

Originally Posted by HappyMonkey View Post
Hello :-)

I am new to this site and pretty new to quilting as well. I'm from New Jersey, and I am a first year teacher. I also crochet and am much better at that than quilting, lol.

I have been quilting by hand, but would like to try it with a machine. I don't have one, so I'm looking for advice. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I don't want to buy a hunk of junk either. Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks,
Randi
First, try it on your current machine. Make a one block sample and sandwich together with batting and backing. baste (hand or machine) and then....drop feed dogs or cover them, even old machines often have feed dog covers available for a couple of bucks... now sketch something simple on your sample, just so you have something to follow.... most IMPORTANT...put presser foot in DOWN position (just as if you were going to sew normally...it must be down to sew properly). now move your sample...remember with this style of machine quilting it is like writing by moving the paper under your pencil... it can be difficult to get the hang of at first but a little persistence will pay off quickly.... Carol Bryer Fallert? heard of her? she did all her quilts this way for decades...may still be, i just haven't seen anything lately...but at the very least, this will give you an idea if this style is for you. you do not have to have an expensive machine to quilt block by block and get some lovely effects.

http://www.bryerpatch.com/about/publicity_pictures.htm

m
ade me curious so i went to check out caryl's website and sure enough, she has a new machine but is still choosing to use this process....check it out..

Last edited by deemail; 11-10-2011 at 12:06 AM.