Need advice

Old 01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
CJ

I was an avid quilter. As soon as I was half way through a quilt, I'd be working on a new one in my head. I was at peace whenever I was playing with fabric.
A year ago, after 20 years of happy marriage, my husband left us. Naturally the shock was great; it's never easy to discover that someone you thought you knew so well was unhappy.
The joy went out of my life and I was unable to pick up needle and thread.
After a year, I'm getting used to a life without a husband, but I am very distressed to find that my desire to quilt hasn't returned.
I have many UFO's and still love to stroke the quilts I have, but I cannot muster the desire to quilt.
I am booked into a weekend quilt retreat in March, and am hopeful that may spark something in me. I'd love to know if anyone else has gone through something like this too.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:35 PM

I am sorry to hear this happened to you....

When my first husband was killed, I didn't touch the quilts I was working on at the time of his accident for a long time. It was almost as if they held too many painful memories for me, as I had started them and worked on them when he was alive.

What worked for me was to start a whole new project from scratch. It took me awhile to get through that first new project, but it did get me back on track with my quilting. I did eventually get to the UFO's I had started, all except the one I was working on that night when I got the call.

Give it time, start with a small project from start to finish.... I hope you can get back to quilting, I know it gave me comfort and was an avenue to work through my grief. :)
Old 01-15-2008, 04:06 AM

I also did the same thing. I have made other quilts, but those started before my daughter was so sick have not gotten finished, yet.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 AM

Congratulation !!!! Dogs and husbands that leaves...shouldn't be missed....You will discover very soon that you can be a very happy person without him....and you will have much more time for quilting than when you had to do the laundry and cooking.....
We have a new pirate on board with us......Your new udventures just begins........Have fun and pick up your needle......The flag is on (Shadow Dancer is on board too) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-15-2008, 08:53 PM
CJ

Thank you all for your replies. I love the idea of a "Whole New Life" quilt!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM

You can do it, CJ! That man should be ashamed of himself. I agree with Ania. Although there will be tough times, you're far better off as a strong independent woman on your own. Your quilting will return to you, I promise. We're all here to encourage you along the way.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 AM

Hi!
I just wanted to add this:
Your husband TOOK many things with him when he left other than his clothing and shave kit... don't let him take your creativity and love of quilting from you too.

Reach down, find the anger and use it on that rotary cutter! ( Only fabric of course!)

Lori
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
And we are waiting for you to show us...what you can do....Start quilting .....
Old 01-16-2008, 01:15 PM

Sweetie, I just want to add one thing. I understand the need to mourn what was lost, but you did not lose you!! That whole better half thing..pphhhhhttttttttt YOU were a whole before you met the man, and I'm pretty sure he didn't take half of you with him when he left. YOU are and always have been a whole! Like Mamagus, don't let him own anything he isn't deserving of and he definitely doesn't deserve to own your creativity or your spirit. Do your Whole New Life Quilt, then finish those that you started prior to his leaving, one at a time between new projects and donate them to a battered women's shelter. That way something good comes from the pain that you felt, and can lend comfort to someone elses.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:35 PM

Welcome!

While not the same as having a spouse leave you, I did have a friend die while I was working on a quilt for her. I had to pack it away. I'm back at it, and it only took 2 years. I'm very anxious to finish it, but I have to hold myself back, as I have a tendency to make mistakes and neglect all else when I get into a quilt zen. So, it will come back, you just have to find the incentive.

M