Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New member - long arm quilting question >

New member - long arm quilting question

New member - long arm quilting question

Old 10-06-2008, 01:22 PM

I found this board quite a while ago and periodically take a peek at the postings. Thought I should become a member and introduce myself. I have a full-time job, so not much time to do a lot of chatting. I enjoy many types of needlework - whatever strikes my curiosity. For the past 5 years, or so, I have been enjoying machine embroidery and have taken up quilting.

I am getting quite frustrated at trying to maneuver my larger quilts through the small machine to do the quilting. And, I am not satisfied with the quality. I am also not interested in hand quilting, takes too long.

I found this website: http://www.sewvacdirect.com/grace_combos.html

The Grace frames seem to be an economical choice. Does anyone in the forum use one of the frames? Any opinions? Also, is the Juke a good machine? Any opinions or thoughts about another model? If I purchase a frame and long arm quilter, I will be sharing with other quilting enthusiasts.

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Plan on going to the PIQF quilt show in Santa Clara this coming weekend. Hope they have a vendor and demonstrations.

Thank you for your help.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:16 PM

I have a Grace frame and a Juki, and am happy with both. The drawback of the Juki is the limited throat space, but it has more space than my Kenmore, and cost much less than mid-arm or long-arm machines. I found that the DVD with the Grace frame, as far as how to load the quilt, was pretty worthless, but if you'll check out LongArmUniversity.com, they have a 10-page article on how to load a quilt, and it's a great help. I keep the article next to my frame and refer to it frequently. Good luck!
Old 10-06-2008, 02:17 PM

Hi there gram and a big welcome from North Carolina. So glad you found us. I am a hand quilter myself so can't help you with that but I'm sure one of the gals here will help you with that. Hope you stay with us.
Old 10-06-2008, 03:54 PM

Welcome from Southern California. I don't have a frame for my machine but have a longarm wish for the future......
This is a great place to learn about all kinds of quilting related stuff!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 05:41 PM

Thank you all for the warm welcome and comments on the Grace frame and Juki. Still pondering. I will be sure to check out the website.

Regards,
Jan
Old 10-07-2008, 06:04 PM

I just wanted to say Welcome--I am sorry I have no knowledge or wisdom to share with you about a long arm.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:56 AM

Hi and welcome fom Mass. Glad you joined us. Please post some pics. Love to see your work.