Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
New sewing room construction. >

New sewing room construction.

New sewing room construction.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 AM

Moved into a new house that has an extra room. Not too big though. About 10x12. What type of sewing desk should I get. What about shelving. It's a blank slate right now!!! :)
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Boy do I envy you! There are some GREAT pictures that have been posted showing off highly organized and efficient sewing rooms. I am sure they will be inspirational when planning how to set up a quilting/sewing room.

I would love to have an extra room all to myself. I have to share with my washer and dryer and food pantry in one room and the guest room bed and TV in the other.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Boy do I envy you! There are some GREAT pictures that have been posted showing off highly organized and efficient sewing rooms. I am sure they will be inspirational when planning how to set up a quilting/sewing room.

I would love to have an extra room all to myself. I have to share with my washer and dryer and food pantry in one room and the guest room bed and TV in the other.
Too bad you can't move the bed & tv in with the w&d,lol!!
Old 06-10-2010, 05:43 AM

I have graduated to two rooms. One for permanent housing of sewing supplies I do not need to keep me in business. My get it done supplies are now in the sunroom sharing the TV room. This has worked out well so far. You will get many wonderful suggestions on your post. While they are coming in you could browse the information in some that have been suggested and photo'd in other post. In our search field put sewing room.
I really wish I had peg board. Shelving can stack to the ceiling. A design wall is sooooo helpful. (Lots of ideas for this also just search on design wall). If there is no window a mirror will open the space up . I find myself abandoning my computer desk sewing table and putting my machine on my metal fold away table (Lowes) more times than not. I like a big top to work on and it is just the right height.
You can be a child in the candy store. Pick and choose. Enjoy and we will all want to see pictures.
Oh,, speaking of photos. If you have some of the empty room you may get more specific ideas based on the layout of the room.
Regards, Dorothy
Old 06-10-2010, 05:45 AM

that is about the size of my sewing room, I put shelves in the closet for storage and a couple of book cases under my cutting counter. I have a small sewing table with a sunken area for my machine about $100 at Jo Ann's, I love it.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 AM

Oh, how lucky are you? I'd put in cabinets or shelves on the walls with lighting underneath then put my tables under them. Have a U shape with cutting area, sewing area, and pressing area with a computer chair on wheels so that you can easily go from one to the other. Light colored walls will make the space feel bigger and also help with lighting. Get your favorite drink, a chocolate or seven, lay back on the couch, close your eyes, relax and picture your perfect sewing room---one that fits your every need. Then adapt as much as you can to the space you have. If you use flannel for curtains you can make them with no extra bulk, and put a rod at both ends. You will have an instant design wall without using up any storage space. You can also put up a section of peg board for hanging cutters, scissors, rulers, etc.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

One thing I absolutely love is my peg board. I hang all my tools, patterns etc and everything is right there for me to see. I'm not good at figuring size but it takes up at least 1/3 or more of the wall.
The rest of my room is a mess LOLOLOL
Have fun!!!!!!!!! :D
Old 06-10-2010, 06:19 AM
Pam

Welcome from Southern Illinos. Kitchen cabinets are great in a sewing room, the higher height is nice for a cutting table and sewing surface. You can also mount countertop down lower for your sewing machine, between the cabinets.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Power Poster

Oh, LUCKY you! Welcome!
Old 06-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

Hello and welcome from SW Iowa. It's almost worth moving just to have a sewing room. Sigh