Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob from NH checking in

Noob from NH checking in

I just found this board, and think I'll hang my hat here a while since this seems like a nice "busy" board!

I'm not new to sewing, but still consider myself a 'novice' in the arena (have sewn 'easy' clothing patterns, and craft patterns, but shy away from difficult fabrics and patterns). I am totally new to quilting- so new that I had to bookmark a "Quilting Glossary of Terms" recently to figure out what "squaring up" and "FQ" meant. I'm pretty sure I never entirely knew how to regulate the tension on my 25+ y/o Kenmore 385 machine that I bought when I graduated HS, and half the time, I can't tell which side of the fabric is the right side (no, I'm not a complete moron, but it CAN be difficult with certain fabrics- unless there's a trick to recognizing it that I don't yet know about!)

I floundered my way through a quilt for a friend recently (one of those "this is meant to be viewed from a distance" varieties), and although it came out "ok," I prefer to know what I'm doing, so I went out and bought a new pair of scissors (OMG they cut like BUTTER!), a smallish cutting mat, and a few other essentials. I'm sending my machine in for a tune-up this week.

I was most impressed recently with some YouTube videos on the nifty techniques that quilters use in 2012: quilting as you go, a really cool curved tying needle, and some other neat tricks. I am not out to build masterpieces or anything real intricate, and I have NO time or desire to hand-stitch (although I admire those who do!). I'm just looking to make pretty quilts to give away/make for fun.

Anyway, enough blather about all that; suffice it to say that I'm looking to find tips and tricks and make my way around this wonderful world of quilting!

Oh, and a quick "hey!" to Jennie and GollyToo, since I stalked you NH-ites already
    Last edited by Teeler; 12-27-2012 at 10:52 AM.

welcome, from north dakota. you will get lots of good advice on the qb

Power Poster
    Welcome from Ontario, Canada. You might enjoy the videos from the Missouri Star Quilt Co.

welcome from Tx!
    Linda

LOL, Tartan- She was one of the gals that I saw on YouTube, and I bookmarked her!

Power Poster
    Hello Teeler!
    Welcome from Minnesota!

Welcome to the board! You will learn much from here, I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Teeler View Post
    ...Oh, and a quick "hey!" to Jennie and GollyToo, since I stalked you NH-ites already
    How far from Keepsake Quilting are you? Love their tent sale.

piney

Welcome from Ireland
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Hello and welcome from New York. You will love it here. The boards are the busiest I've ever come across.
    When it seems like the world is falling to pieces remember that the pieces are falling into place...the End Times.

Heaven and Earth are full of His Glory!

Blog Entries
    Welcome from michigan!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast