Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/)
-   -   Nobody hears me when I am wits end (https://www.quiltingboard.com/introduce-yourself-f3/nobody-hears-me-when-i-am-wits-end-t189897.html)

qltinglady 05-24-2012 11:36 AM

Nobody hears me when I am wits end

:thumbdown: Being new to the forum and quilting I thought i would add my 5 cents!! Having made only a few quilts I consider myself a beginner in awe of the precious talent on this board. My morning agenda consists of coffee and drooling looking at all the beautiful quilts. However, I have gotten discouraged lately. I have always worked from patterns (except for one I saw a pic and wallah it came out the same - must of been a blond moment).The last two quilts which I am in the process of making, both of the patterns have mistakes. One was written wrong (at least I thought so) The other, had a color diagram and the colors were incorrect. For a beginner quilter, this becomes very:mad:. I was a basketmaker and wrote several patterns. I always had them tested from the directions without looking at the basket - and only at the picture - and without myself being present. I feel that if someone sells a pattern at the price of $11 +. it should be tested first. Thanks for listening my heart has stopped racing.

kathy 05-24-2012 11:39 AM

welcome and I agree. I have been a pattern tester and am doing ot again now, it is very important for them to be clear and correct, (you should not have to figure out what is wrong and how to correct it unless it's your own mistake)

Jammin' Jane 05-24-2012 11:52 AM

Hello!
Welcome from Minnesota!
I totally agree with you! A pattern should be tested and should be user friendly!!!!

Pennyquilter88 05-24-2012 11:53 AM

I'm sorry to hear you have had so much bad luck with printed patterns. Sometimes I have to tear out two stitches for everyone I put in, when I find mistakes in the pattern. Keep trying and you will become a pro at quilting.

DogHouseMom 05-24-2012 12:19 PM

The very first quilt I made (Bento Box) had an error on it (the earliest version I believe). Since then I've made only a few quilts from a pattern.

But recently I started a Mystery Quilt Block of the Month - a freebie - but run by competent people (one of whom is famous for the Dear Jane Patterns - so you would think "knows how to write a pattern"!). SOOO many of the block patterns have been wrong that a bunch of us that were following it just plain stopped. So disappointing!!

Crqltr 05-24-2012 12:38 PM

Hi, welcome from Michigan! I was a tester..once...never again! It was awful and was still put on the market.

lfstamper 05-24-2012 12:42 PM

Welcome from Texas. Some writers are better than others!

patski 05-24-2012 12:48 PM

you'll even find mistakes in books. That is why when you quilt you have to be flexible! I started out making one quilt and after finding the mistake had to totally change it! At the time I was too new to figure out how to adjust

Lakeview Quilting 05-24-2012 04:28 PM

Hello, welcome from Oklahoma!!!

MaryStoaks 05-24-2012 04:29 PM

Welcome from the California desert.:thumbup: