Sandy63

Old 11-24-2014, 06:40 PM

Default Sandy63

I haven't been quilting really that long. Started with an embroidery machine and somehow or other it lead to quilting. I retired about 7 years ago and that is how it all started. I just can't get enough of it. My very first blanket was an embroidered baby blanket and the only quilting that I did was in the ditch. I continued with another embroidered quilt. This time a queen size and again just stitching in the ditch. Then I started noticing all the different patterns one could put on a quilt and of course the one pattern I love the most is the feather. I just love that pattern. I have practiced on paper and then on material and have gotten pretty good if I do say so myself. I found it very difficult keeping the back of my quilt flat and wasn't too long that the best way around this is to get a quilting table, which I did. I purchased a B Line table with a Juki sewing machine. That system work well but it wasn't very long before I got tired of turning the material every 8 inches. My daughter is getting interested in quilting so I thought it would be good to give this setup to her and in turn I would buy a new system. This time a longarm, which I did. I found an Avante 18 HQ. I love it. I found a used machine because I felt because of my age (64) I shouldn't spend too much money. I was told this machine is only 3 years old but was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can determine the age. The reason I ask this is because the wheels that are on my machine are large white plastic wheels whereas the pictures I see of other machine they are quite small. I was thinking that I would like to get the table they sell with the avante as the one that came with it is a Hinterburg wooden table. Would I have to do something to my machine in order to do this? Anyways this is where I am and would really appreciate it if someone could help me
Old 11-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I'd suggest you go to HandiQuilter.com, and either call the company, or find a dealer close to you. They should be able to help you with age info of machine, and available options, etc.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:02 PM

Thank you. I figured that would probably be the best route
Old 11-24-2014, 07:55 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Sorry I don't have any advice about your machine.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Welcome Sandy63. You have definitely been bitten by the quilt bug! You will absolutely love LA quilting. I agree with Mariposa that your best bet to date your machine and find out about upgrades is to contact HQ. It is my understanding they have great customer service, even for those who bought 2nd hand machines.

Welcome to the QB and I look forward to seeing you post pictures of your work.
Old 11-25-2014, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Michigan!
Old 11-25-2014, 05:30 AM

welcome from se TX -- can't help, but someone on QB always has a good suggestion!!
Old 11-25-2014, 06:07 AM

Waving hello from Maryland and it sounds like you're having fun!
Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from western NY and happy quilting
Old 11-25-2014, 07:44 PM

Howdy from Oklahoma! Welcome to the Board. Hope you find what you need. Would love to see pics of your work!
DJ