Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Finally found a way to master 1/4" seam >

Finally found a way to master 1/4" seam

Finally found a way to master 1/4" seam

Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 AM

I make my own guides using Scotch reposition able strips and an old credit card. I cut a Scotch strip in half lengthwise. I then cut a credit card to the same width. Use your rotary cutter with an old blade to make sure your cuts are straight. Take off the plastic covering one side of the Scotch strip and line up the credit card edge on it.I use my 1 X 6 ruler and place under the presser foot. I bring the needle down so it is just to the right of the 1/4 inch line. That is MY scant seam allowance with 60 wt thread. Then remove the second piece of plastic on the Scotch strip and align it to your machine.Make sure you butt it up against the ruler for a nice straight edge.This is best with a machine with bobbin case under machine like the old Singer and Vikings with vertical bobbins BUT I have found that by cutting it the size/length bobbin case cover I can use it on one of my Janomes where bobbin case cover is just in front of presser foot. The edge is shorter but you can leave it in place when you change your bobbin.These strips can be bought in Joann's,6 to a pack, cut in half for 12 1/2" strips about 3" long. I have been doing this for about a year and am amazed at how accurate my seams are. I do lots of tiny blocks. I buy a pack of strips and make a bunch of strips at a time. You can use them over and reposition them but they will not stick well after many repositions. You just get out your ruler and a new strip and you are in business. Try it!

P
Old 02-05-2014, 09:47 PM

Thank you very much.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:47 AM
Power Poster

I have one of these and they are a great item to have...
Old 02-06-2014, 08:56 AM

I bought te Ideal Seam Guides at the Houston show - love them. And when the "sticky" part gets dirty, I can clean it with Windex and keep on sewing. It has really helped me.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:03 PM

I use something similar that I got at JoAnnes but mine is red. I also use the command strips on the bed of my machine. No sticky mess! Another great tip I got here! Gotta love you guys!
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 PM
amh

I take any cutting ruler and put the needle on the 1/4 inch line (well maybe a tad less), line that ruler up so you can place your tape along the edge of the ruler.

For tape I use: plain old scotch tape and sew along it if that's all I have, moleskin (as Geri mentioned), thick two sided tape (I think 3M makes it) (on the top of it I put a scrap of fabric).

I only put this guide onto the area of my machine which is what I'll call the cover to the bobbin area. That way when the bobbin is empty, I don't have to rip off the tape and start over.

I don't like to call myself cheap, but I am frugal. I have the ruler and the moleskin already, and I'd never be able to find the gadgets when I needed to replace things. Just saying.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
As edge guide I use mole skin..from Walgreens..it is a sticky backed flexible small sheet sold in the foot care section....I cut a strip, set it as a guide..and when it wears down or begins to peel away I make a new strip....inexpensive but it works
I have the same. works like a charm.
Old 02-09-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
...... Now my guiding skills, well, that's a different story. ....
Now you're talking to me!!!!
Old 02-11-2014, 01:57 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mimmis57 View Post
I use something similar that I got at JoAnnes but mine is red. I also use the command strips on the bed of my machine. No sticky mess! Another great tip I got here! Gotta love you guys!
Be careful with that red ruler. It measures out an *exact* 1/4" seam instead of a scant 1/4". (I am assuming it is the Dritz ruler that comes with adhesive strips.) I love the adhesive strips, though; they are my favorite because of the height.