Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Links and Resources
  • FYI Fabric.com shipping >
  • FYI Fabric.com shipping

• FYI Fabric.com shipping

Old 07-12-2016, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
    Thanks from sharing. I haven't been shopping with them lately. Didn't they started charging more for a half a yard cuts? Shippping seems to be taking a big bite out of the final total for online fabric stores.
    Charging more for half yard cuts is why I stopped shopping there
    Old 07-13-2016, 04:49 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Looks like Amazon is following suit. Went on Amazon today and found that shipping is free over a $49 order.
    Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by marcycn
    Looks like Amazon is following suit. Went on Amazon today and found that shipping is free over a $49 order.
    I just checked this one (Kona from fabric.com on amazon) and this one has not been changed yet. Maybe it got through the update. I have not check any other fabric.com items on amazon but thought I'd let you know at least one is still free ship.
    https://www.amazon.com/Robert-Kaufma...Robert+Kaufman
    Old 07-14-2016, 05:52 AM

The last time I placed an order there was in May when they had the big sale on Kona cotton-a bunch jumped in my cart. Although I browse the site when sent their emails, I didn't notice this shipping change until you posted. So THANK YOU! I had two backings for WIP/UFOs in the cart from Tuesday and with today's find of " Kaffe Fassett Collective Spots Kaleidoscope 2.5" Design Roll" I met the free shipping! This new minimum will certainly keep me on the straight and narrow, maybe.
    Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
    The last time I placed an order there was in May when they had the big sale on Kona cotton-a bunch jumped in my cart. Although I browse the site when sent their emails, I didn't notice this shipping change until you posted. So THANK YOU! I had two backings for WIP/UFOs in the cart from Tuesday and with today's find of " Kaffe Fassett Collective Spots Kaleidoscope 2.5" Design Roll" I met the free shipping! This new minimum will certainly keep me on the straight and narrow, maybe.
    You're right, the new minimum from fabric.com will definitely have an effect on my shopping with them. That's just me though.
    Old 07-14-2016, 08:21 AM

Living in Alaska, shipping is always a big issue. I've gotten to the point I won't order from a company that won't ship through the Post Office. UPS and FedEx will only ship at the higher air rate and lately we've noticed that they end up sending it to the PO anyway. My biggest laugh came a few years back when I called to order something and the girl on the phone said they don't ship to international addresses! LOL
    Old 07-18-2016, 04:50 AM

The shipping of Fabric.com orders thru Amazon is only free for regular and sale priced items. Clearance fabrics have $2.00/yard shipping charges.

I ordered some fabric from Fabric.com recently. The cuts were wierd. I had one that was cut on the round almost, it was so arched. The yard measured 37 inch at the middle of the arch. The yard at the selvage and fold were under 36 inches. Another piece I just bought looked like it had been chewed off instead of cut, and no promised 37 inches. I complained about the arched fabric because it was clearly short, since that arch isn't usable for rotary cutting, but haven't gotten a response yet. I liked them because they offer free returns, so I figured that purchases were low risk. I don't want to be pegged by Amazon as a return abuser (Amazon can ban you for too many returns) by having to return things too often at Fabric.com because they do a lousy job of cutting. I will be trying other shops from now on.

MSQ and Fabric Shack both offer free shipping at $100. Fabric Shack's flat rate is only $3 up to $100. Fabric Depot offers free shipping at $65. None charge sales tax outside of their state.

Yes, the reason Fabric.com charges sales tax is because Amazon is their parent. Amazon has a presence in just about every state, so has to charge tax.
    Old 07-18-2016, 05:23 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

$2.00/yard still beats what I would have to pay in gas for the 45 minute drive I have to any stores other than a lousy quilting store (manager/owner is a bitch) and Walmart.

I have also had bad cuts from Fabric.com but fortunately not often. The last one was a panel that was narrow in the middle so I had to cut off the top and bottom which I hated to do. I also sent an email and it has not been answered. They only seem to answer emails when they are in the right, or think they are. :-(

MSQ at $5 really isn't that bad since they can cram a lot into that box. I don't see where I will be doing free shipping anymore since I like to buy a little at a time. $35 was perfect for me.

I've had good luck with Connecting Threads with tolerable shipping charges. I'll have to check out Fabric Shack.
    Old 07-18-2016, 05:28 AM

I remember why I don't shop Fabric Shack..... I can't stand their layout and there is no zoom or hover over for their pictures. You have to click on each one. :-(
    Old 07-18-2016, 05:32 AM

Fabric Shack: They also don't have a zoom on their cart, so you have to search the fabrics that are in your cart to remember what they were (HA!).

I still like them. They have a nice assortment of regular and sale fabrics. And GREAT customer service.