Hexigons

Old 12-22-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing..
Old 12-28-2014, 01:47 PM
Power Poster

i have some of those Mylar plastic templates and use them when doing small hex's. They are great.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:28 AM

I do EPP using the glue basting method..this time.....last one ( first ever) I made freezer paper strips, drew one hexie the size I was using, fan folded, stapled in middle, cut out w/rotary cutter on those drawn lines, removed staple then ironed these onto strips of fabric and cut out allowing the 1/4" seam allowance between...then basted, then whipped together...phew! Took two yrs..not yet quilted!

This time..... Fiskar paper punch xlarge, old greeting cards..and those recd this yr, index cards from GW, junk mail, whatever...glue pen( refillable), I don't whip stitch, instead hold side by side and nip the edges together...less peeking that way..at least for me....btw. I have purchased the acrylic template for that size hexie from PaperPieces.com, nice 3/8" seam allowance! Will do business with them more!

Now I am thinking...if I wanted to do the plastic hexie/thread basting method. Can I cut my own plastic templates with either the X large fiskar punch or my GO dies. From looking at websites these seem to be just about the same thickness, flexibility as the sheets of Mylar at JAF for cutting templates..... I once had..since sold, plastic hexies that were almost rigid plastic.....wonder if those are atill made..... Just thinking out loud here
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 PM

Can anyone of you share pictures of what you mean with the Fiskar cut thing and do you use that to cut the fabric or the paper that goes inside? If its for the insides can you reuse them or do they tear when you remove them?
Old 12-30-2014, 05:54 AM

Go to fiskar website for a pic....they do not cut fab. I use to cut paper for hex.....only cuts one at a time..sort of like a paper punch, slide paper between, squeeze handles together and hex pops out.....easy peasy.......
Old 12-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by FabStripper View Post
Can anyone of you share pictures of what you mean with the Fiskar cut thing and do you use that to cut the fabric or the paper that goes inside? If its for the insides can you reuse them or do they tear when you remove them?
I just got the extra large Fiskars Hexie punch. It says that it can cut a maximum of 65 lbs paper, which I also got, and can't wait to Finnish my two ufos so I can start my EPP GFG. Using the 65 lbs paper should make the hexies pretty durable and reuse able.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Thank you both for the responses. That gives me a great picture in my brain now. Thank you.