LQS closing

Old 11-21-2016, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Default LQS closing

A LQS here in northwest Georgia is closing. The Quilt Shop on Main, Jasper GA. All regular priced fabric is 35% off (and believe me when I say I DO NOT need anymore fabric). She is selling shelving that I might consider. Would love to see my friend take it over.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

Sad but some good deals for shoppers.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:57 AM
Power Poster

I'm thankful for the quilt shop that is only about a 5+minute drive away. Another within 5 miles. That isn't counting the big box like Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's. I can also take a nice long scenic one hour drive to another if I want.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:14 AM

I hate when this happens.
I see it fairly often, but that's probably because I really have quite a few LQS's within 2 hours of me... about 25-30 shops.
That's one of the <b>best</b> things about living in the Carolinas - we have SO many LQS's - and that's not including any of the chains (like JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby). Of course, I can't overlook Mary Jo's (a.k.a. quilter's heaven).

I try as much as possible to spend my $$ with the locals, but sometimes, I can only find what I want online. I very seldom go to JoAnn's or Hobby Lobby.
Old 11-23-2016, 04:47 PM

This Happens When Folks Shop Online for everything. The local business folks close their doors. We have a LQS closing it's doors in December. Very sad, but many said they didn't feel it was all that friendly a place to do business. Friendly is almost a must with a Quilt Store. We have several options within under 30 miles. Another might close up shop IF they don't get more business before their lease is up. I tried to spread my spending around the different shops in the area. But alas, I don't spend all that much as I'm a scrap quilter and folks give me lots of scraps.
Old 11-23-2016, 05:16 PM

so many shops closing , there are two in my area I wise would close the owners are so nasty . They talk about you as soon as you walk out the door. But they want you to shop there. Can't deal with them , order my fabric off line.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:12 AM

I try to shop local as much as possible. I have one LQS very close to my home and work. They have a good selection of batiks, other fabrics not so much to my taste. They do carry some nice wide backing and have a longarm quilter so I try to give them as much business as I can. A woman I work with told me about a quilt shop she goes to so I'm going to check that one out also.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:21 PM

There was a very tiny quilt shop about 20 miles from me - out in the country - in a basement of a house. Two ladies opened it up. The one that owned the house suddenly passed away and her husband and her partner tried to keep it open but could not. So, when I found out about it, they were having a "going out of business sale" - don't remember the percentage off - but it increased each week. I went each week and bought a LOT of fabric and wrote a check each time. They knew my name and greeted me with a "Hi Nikki" when I walked in the door. On the very last day, I asked what each of their plans was going to be and they told me. Not one single word was said about "thank you for your business" or something like that. I spent a LOT of money during their last month and couldn't even get a "thank you".