Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Rotary Cutter Blades >

Rotary Cutter Blades

Rotary Cutter Blades

Old 09-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Thanks!
The doily is about 18" across or so, and comes from an old reprint of an old (I think) Laura Wheeler newspaper item, from a set of "seashell" motif doily patterns.
It was originally intended for something like a size 20 or 30 thread and a size 12 hook, like that,
but I used Size 10 crochet thread and a straight-shank Size B (smallest size for yarn) hook.

Originally Posted by adrianlee
TooMuchFabric, love the avatar photo of the crochet doily. Is it from a book or did you make it? Love that pattern.
I have one more harbour freight store to check in Spokane for the blades.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sewitseams
i stopped at our harbor freight outlet last saturday. they had only one package of the blades and charged me $1.99. tried one when i got home. did not like it. i guess it didn't fit well in olfa handle or something, because it kept skipping . . . i tried two layers, four layers and six layers of fabric. it just would not work. oh well, so much for that "good deal".
I've been using a Harbor Freight "carpet cutter" for a little over two weeks (cutting fabric for two different quilts) and it still cuts like a hot knife through butter. I was fortunate to purchase 12 packages at $1.49 each package from two different HF stores, using a 20% off coupon! Bottom line, each package cost me (with tax) $1.29. I shared my bounty with the members of my bee.

Sewitseams, I don't mean to be a "smarta--", but did you put only one of the blades into your rotary cutter? The two blades in the package were a little difficult to separate. Belles
Old 09-16-2010, 05:00 PM

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM. I KEPT THINKING NO WAY COULD I HAVE IT IN BACKWARDS.....BUT I TRIED TURNING IT AROUND...GUESS WHAT !!! IT NOW WORKS. I NOW LOVE THE BLADE. TRY TURNING IT AROUND. I GUESS THEY HAVE A RIGHT SIDE TO THEM.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:37 PM

After reading about them here, I hunted up a store and was able to get 6 packs.
Thanks
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM

thanks for telling us
Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Our HF just went up to $1.99, but still cheap!!
Old 09-16-2010, 10:42 PM

i stopped at our harbor freight outlet last saturday. they had only one package of the blades and charged me $1.99. tried one when i got home. did not like it. i guess it didn't fit well in olfa handle or something, because it kept skipping . . . i tried two layers, four layers and six layers of fabric. it just would not work. oh well, so much for that "good deal".
Make sure you didn't accidentally put 2 blades in together. That is the only time I've heard of them skipping. I've been using mine for almost a month now and it is still cutting great. Mine easily cut thru 8 layers when it was newer. It still easily cuts thru 4 layers, and thru 8 but I have to go over it a couple of times since I've been using it so long and so much. I have cut out 2 full quilts with it over the last month, and a wall hanging. I am starting on the third quilt, and it's still cutting.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:03 AM

Also, try turning the blade around (over?) and see if you think it cuts a bit longer. Sometimes this works for me.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:45 AM

Well sewitseams, you certainly received a plethora of suggestions on the carpet cutters aka rotary cutter blades. Hope one of the suggestions work for you because it's such a great cost saver. Although now that word got out to quilters (mostly women), don't be surprised if the powers who be (mostly men) allow the price to sky rocket. Belles
Old 09-17-2010, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Belles
Although now that word got out to quilters (mostly women), don't be surprised if the powers who be (mostly men) allow the price to sky rocket. Belles
I'm hoping this won't happen, at least not as high as quilters' blades, because the hardware stores sell these cutters and blades to contractors and home improvements types, who are not going to stand for carpet blades to go to 9.00 a blade!
So maybe that will keep down the price for us quilters!