Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: 1/4" foot for Bernina machines

1/4" foot for Bernina machines

I have a Bernina series 8 model 820 machine & I would like to know if it worth my $ to buy a separate 1/4" foot. Is it more accurate than just moving the needle over?
    Dance like no one is watching

For me the price of the 1/4" foot was well worth it. I have a 730 and I have much more accurate seams with the foot.

Blog Entries
    i bought the specific foot and have never regretted it. and i don't have to remember to move the needle over
    Nancy in western NY

My #20 foot with the needle one click to the right is far more accurate for a scant " than either the #37 or #57 foot (the dedicated " feet). The open toe gives a much better view of where the needle is going, plus both feed dogs are fully underneath the fabric so it feeds evenly resulting in more accurate seams. With the " feet, the right feed dog is pretty much useless and the fabric steers to one side because of it.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Here's something that is food for thought. When you move the needle over your bobbin thread is pulled at an angle. This can cause imperfect stitching and tension issues. Libby Lehman just did a video for The Quilt Show where she discusses this and teaches about this in her classes. I had never thought about this, but it makes sense if you think about it. I have a 57 foot with guide for my 830 and will now be using it all the time.

In my experience, the 1/4 inch foot with guide is wonderful. I love it so much, I one for everyone of my sewing machines. That meant I had to purchase one for my Brothers, Pfaff and Bernina. Too bad they are not interchangable from machine to machine, but that's how it goes. I would recommend the 1/4 inch foot with guide hightly.

I have #57, the 1/4" foot with the guide and its just great. My machine is a 430.

I have a 1/4" foot for my babylock and love it so much I just ordered the #57 for my bernina
    ​Nancy

Power Poster
    ​I do like my 1/4 Bernina foot but it came with my machine. It also has a graded side that lets you know when you are 1/4 inch from the corner.

Washington, playing with my fabric stash!
    Blog Entries
    Hmmm, I will have to go see what I have besides the #37.

Linda

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound, that saved a wretch like me. I once was lost but now am found, was blind, but now I see.
    [John Newton (1725-1807)]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast