Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1/4" foot for Bernina machines >

1/4" foot for Bernina machines

1/4" foot for Bernina machines

Old 03-03-2013, 03:51 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the input - the overall majority is, go with the #57 foot with the guide. I was originally told to just move the needle but I have been having my doubts. As soon as I hear from the Oakville Sewing Centre which is quite far from where I live, I will be ordering one. My original Bernina dealer (in Sudbury, Ontario) has sadly closed her shop so Oakville, Ontario is my closest dealer, that I know of anyway. Tks for everyones input. It has helped a lot.
Old 03-03-2013, 04:06 PM

You will not regret getting the #57 foot with guide. That is the presser foot which I use most often. To me, it was well worth the cost.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Here's something that is food for thought. When you move the needle over your bobbin thread is pulled at an angle. This can cause imperfect stitching and tension issues. Libby Lehman just did a video for The Quilt Show where she discusses this and teaches about this in her classes. I had never thought about this, but it makes sense if you think about it. I have a 57 foot with guide for my 830 and will now be using it all the time.
I was just reading the other day in a book Precision Piecing where they state the benefit of moving you needle over is that you will be using BOTH of your feed dogs. I have a Bernina and have both the 37 and 57 feet and wouldn't give them up but I think I am going to also try moving my needle over and using one of my regular feet, then decide. Although to be honest will probably go with all options depending on the mood I am in and what I am working on.

The biggest problem with the new higher end machines is that they normally have a 9 mm stitch width so the feed dogs are further apart (standard is 5 mm). I have found that if I am using a 1/4" foot on my machine I also want to use a Straight Stitch Throat plate.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:13 AM

I have a Bernina Activa 240 with a #37-1/4 inch foot. I just measured about 2 days ago and it sews a perfect 1/4th inch. Maybe the discrepancy between all of our 1/4-inch measurements is the difference in how all the models of Bernina's sew???

I really didn't like mine at first...thought it was a little persnickity...but now that I'm used to it, I love it.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM

Here's something that is food for thought. When you move the needle over your bobbin thread is pulled at an angle. This can cause imperfect stitching and tension issues. Libby Lehman just did a video for The Quilt Show where she discusses this and teaches about this in her classes. I had never thought about this, but it makes sense if you think about it. I have a 57 foot with guide for my 830 and will now be using it all the time.
That may be true in some cases (or not), but on my Bernina with the needle just one click to the right, there is no difference at all in stitch quality or tension. If Berninas weren't meant to sew accurately with the needle 'off-center', they wouldn't be designed to sew that way. Having both feed dogs 'engaged' is well worth remembering to move the needle, though I do wish that setting could be put into memory and saved.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
That may be true in some cases (or not), but on my Bernina with the needle just one click to the right, there is no difference at all in stitch quality or tension. If Berninas weren't meant to sew accurately with the needle 'off-center', they wouldn't be designed to sew that way. Having both feed dogs 'engaged' is well worth remembering to move the needle, though I do wish that setting could be put into memory and saved.
The needle is made to go in a variety of positions to be able to make a gazillion stitches. If you watch Libby's video she shows you what the thread looks like doing the stitch outs in the normal, straight stitch position and with the needle moved far over. One click isn't going to do much to the bobbin thread position, but moving it 5 or 6 clicks does effect the twist of the thread. It was a very informative piece and one has to weigh using both feed dogs or getting the better straight stitch in mind.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:26 AM

The needle is made to go in a variety of positions to be able to make a gazillion stitches. If you watch Libby's video she shows you what the thread looks like doing the stitch outs in the normal, straight stitch position and with the needle moved far over. One click isn't going to do much to the bobbin thread position, but moving it 5 or 6 clicks does effect the twist of the thread. It was a very informative piece and one has to weigh using both feed dogs or getting the better straight stitch in mind.
I didn't know of the needle affecting the bobbin thread but it does make sense. I was told that if I move the needle 2 clicks to the right, it will make a perfect 1/4" seam but have found sometimes it seems off but it could just be me. I still think I am going to get the #57 foot & decide for myself which I prefer. It will be nice to have the option.
I do thank everyone for their input. It has been invaluable information.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

I have the #37 and it resides on my machine almost exclusively. What I love most about it is the feature Tartan mentioned the marks on the side of the foot both front and back that tells me when I am 1/4" from the edge. Invaluable for doing set in Y seams and mitered corners on binding.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:22 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have the Bernina 830 and both 1/4" feet. The one with the guide is not an accurate 1/4". It's bigger!!! The one without the guide is a little bigger also. So I bought a scant 1/4" measuring tool and use my 34D clear wide foot and move my needle over to an accurate scant 1/4". Now I'm actually sewing a proper scant 1/4". So, I wasted my money on those feet. And my stitches look perfect!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:38 PM

I have a Bernina and just checked on what feet I have. I have the #37, but not the #57. What is the difference between them? Would it be worthwhile for me to purchase the # 57 foot?