Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
6 month deadline!!! >

6 month deadline!!!

6 month deadline!!!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by eparys View Post
I am with Sandygirl - Do what you can or what you want to make. The request/list seems a bit overwhelming. Most new Moms would be ecstatic to receive just one of those items. When I do a baby quilt and there is an older sibling, while I agree that the older child needs to learn it is not always about them, I always include a book for the older child.
I agree! All could learn a lesson by doing only what you WANT to do. Unless you want to be the doormat for this manipulative-seeming sister. A cute book about a new baby in the family would seem a great choice for the older sibling. Good luck!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:41 AM

Teacup, your Pokey Little Puppy Warm Wishes is such a brilliant idea. The fabric choices are great! I love using soft book panels for quilts.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:08 AM

Sister is a bit needy, isn't she?
Old 01-20-2015, 06:13 AM

You don't OWE her all those things. I would be thrilled to get one of them! Do what you can and forget the rest.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:58 AM

Teacup, your quilt is great and has given me an idea to use 43 neck scarves from the groomer. Retired Pastor/wife have been saving the scarves and I have them to make a quilt and this is just what I will do with all of them. Have been in a dither as to what pattern to use but love making the WW pattern.
Thank you so much for showing your quilt, now I can start making their quilt.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by quilting jem View Post
I'm definitely liking the idea of an i spy for her eldest.

When the last baby in the family was born, the gender was left as a surprise. By the time she came I was soooo sick of neutral colours! So it would be nice this time to get to play with colour.
I just don't get why girls get only pink and boys get only blue. I would definitely make something that has all the colors in. The baby doesn't know the difference. It's only for the parents (and other adults) that certain colors are used.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:26 AM

Boy, sister's list of wants sounds a lot like the list my SIL tried to give to me. Her daughter is having baby #2 and she wants me to make a quilt to her specifics, plus many other items....not going to happen. She will get a quilt and some bibs and burppads...not going insane like SIL would like me to. My niece owns her own business and is not hurting for money...besides, what I make her may not be good enough. I had given her something for her first child and she dumped it before leaving the craft show because she didn't like it.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:28 AM

I don't think quilting gem's sister is manipulative or needy and to assume that she is just wrong. We don't know what their relationship is with each other. My guess is quilting gem and her sister get along just fine. My DIL and I are like that, she knows I love to sew and embroider and I welcome her requests for handmade things for herself or the kids. Yes, if I make something for one child I make something for the rest of them. They know they are not the center of the universe and it's not about them. The smile on their faces, the hugs and kisses are all worth it. Besides this is my hobby and I enjoy doing it. Yes, I make items and donate them to different charities but family comes first. I'm always honored when a family member wants me to make something.
Old 01-20-2015, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

WOW. While asking for a baby quilt for baby #2 is not unreasonable, asking for one for her little boy wouldn't be so bad, however, why would you make all her other requests? I know she's your sister, and while you love her, she's expecting far too much from you. I know you want to please your sister, but only do what YOU feel you can and definitely do something simple and easy, especially for the little boy who might just drag it around with him, play with it, and to me that's what I make when I make a baby quilt - I'm not making an heirloom just something to cuddle and use. Does your sister even realize that she's making an unreasonable request of you? Just do what you feel is right for you.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 AM

If I were you I would tell her I would do the baby quilt and tell her to get yarn and a crochet hook and come over to learn how to crochet, so she can get the other things she wants done. Let her know you love her, but you are not Montgomery wards who takes a slew of orders. hat is unless you like being put on the spot for all of these things. Also you could give her sewing lessons.