Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
60 Degree Ruler - and need help. >

60 Degree Ruler - and need help.

60 Degree Ruler - and need help.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Default 60 Degree Ruler - and need help.

I'm wanting to make a EASY Striped Table Runner that uses 60 degree ruler. I have a Marti Michell 60 degree ruler, 3-9". (The 3 sides of the triangle are blunt. They don't come to a point). I'm not sure how to use this. Pattern says to cut 2 strips 8.5" wide. I did this. It says Place the triangle ruler with base of of triangle, or the 8.5" line along the outside edge of my runner. I did this. Now it looks like I have to cut off a bit at the top. If I line up the 8.5" line at the base of material, then the "purple" point at top of ruler looks like it will end where I want - but I'll still have to trip off material at the top. When I place the 8.5" line at the base of the material 1. AM I SUPPOSE TO ALLOW FOR THE 1/4" seam? or 2. IS IT MORE IMPORTANT TO FIRST LINE UP THE POINT AT THE TOP TO BE WHERE I WANT IT TO BE. With my first 60 deg table runner, I don't want to have to bother with a strip in the center (when it's done). Thanks for your help. Yikes! I thought this would be simple. Maybe I'm making it too difficult.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:07 PM

The Extra fabric at the tip of the triangle will eventually become a "dog-ear" when two triangles are sewn together. There may be indications to trim the dog ear later in the directions.
Just put that 8.5" line at the base of your fabric,and trust it.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:16 PM
Power Poster

The Marti Michell ruler differs from most other 60 degree rulers in that the measurements on her ruler run along the side of the ruler, not from the center of the base to the top. When you are lining up her ruler on the 8.5" line it is actually going to make a triangle that is much smaller than you need. It would be better to use another ruler.

Here's the explanation from her site - http://www.frommarti.com/60deg.shtml
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM

Thanks! I didn't know there was a difference with 60 deg rulers! I'm thinking I'm going to draw this out on paper and try using the ruler to see how it works before I do any more cutting. Thanks for your help. I did look at Marti's website.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

I think Jenny Beyer has a Youtube on the 60* placemat and tablerunner. Maybe it will help?