Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For an 8 year old >

For an 8 year old

For an 8 year old

Old 01-29-2015, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by junegerbracht View Post
I bought a very inexpensive Janome (sew-mini) for my granddaughter to sew on - choice of only three stitches from Hancock Fabrics (free shipping at the time). Certainly works well and she loved it. My mistake was letting her try my Viking Diamond - now she knows the difference.
I bought the 5 lb. 124 also. I thought I was going on an airplane trip and wanted to take a machine. But I don't really like sewing on it. I makes a lot of noise, and seems like it is always working hard. There are no oiling directions, so when it wears out, I suppose that's the end of it.

I'm just spoiled from working on antique machines that sew so smoothly and quietly. I know the difference.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:01 AM

What ever you buy get one that does not dance all over the table when going fast! The cheap plastic ones are the worst for this action.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:06 PM

Default Machine for 8 year old

Originally Posted by JackieQuilts View Post
who is interested in learning to sew, what basic and inexpensive sewing machine would you recommend? I want one with reverse stitch and zig zag and a light. Used is fine. Thank you!
I got my GD a sewing machine for her 8th birthday. I looked on Craigslist til I found a used but well loved Elna that was a step up from basic so room to grow. The seller had gotten a new one for Christmas. It sewed beautifully and was $30. I've bought and sold several machines on CL. As long as you can try them there are some real treasures out there. (Max)

Last edited by mengler; 01-29-2015 at 05:10 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Here's one I found on Amazon when my daughter was looking for a machine for her 9-year old daughter. You can look it up and read lots more, including reviews about it. In the end she gave her her cheaper Brother machine and bought a new one for herself:

Brother LS2125i Easy-to-Use, Everyday Sewing Machine with 10 stitches including Blind Hem and Zigzag, and 4-Step Auto Buttonhole
by Brother
831 customer reviews | 201 answered questions
List Price: $129.00
Deal Price: $69.97 & FREE Shipping. Details
You Save: $59.03 (46%)
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Want it Saturday, Jan. 31? Order within 16 hrs 2 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Full size, lightweight, portable sewing machine, great for alterations and everyday sewing
10 built-in stitches, including blind hem, zigzag and stretch stitches
Automatic 4-step buttonhole feature allows you to create custom-sized buttonholes to fit your specific buttons
Free arm or flat bed usage, carrying handle, built-in storage, 3 presser feet, and more
Includes bilingual instruction manual, 25 year limited warranty, with free phone support for the life of the product. We do not recommend using this machine in countries that do not support 120V AC even if a voltage adapter is in use
22 new from $59.99 2 used from $99.00
Old 01-29-2015, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Got my niece a Janome for about $50.00. New at Hancocks. Has all you want.
did the same for my niece. It's light enough for her to carry and it's a real machine that will last her as I was told that many adult seamstresses take them to retreats.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:11 PM

I bought the Janome jem used at my dealer for $125.00. my grandaughter is 9 yr old. Just right for her. You want a machine that will last her for years. Don't forget these kids grow fast.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:26 PM

Default not just a silver Janome

DH bought me a Janome silver edition at an Estate Sale, I fell in love with it BUT DGD fell for it even harder! She is 13 & has been learning quilting along with me. I must say she is better than I am!
Jeri

The machine is a Janome Jem Silver Jem Limited Edition. I fell for it so hard I bought the 6600 right afterward. I LOVE me some Janome!

Last edited by oldtisme; 01-29-2015 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Name of machine