Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
ACCUQUILT opinions needed >

ACCUQUILT opinions needed

ACCUQUILT opinions needed

Old 11-28-2013, 09:10 PM

Default ACCUQUILT opinions needed

Need some help from my quilt buddies. I have an elderly friend who is no longer able to move around a table to cut out sewing pieces. I have suggested that she purchase an Accuquilt so she can just sit at a table and crank out the quilt pieces. She will be able to sit at her sewing machine in her wheelchair. Our plan is to create quilts for local NICU in Oklahoma in honor of her daughter who passed away 10 years ago. Her daughter was a respiratory therapist at Children's Hospital and LOVED "her babies." Creating these quilts is something she really needs to do for herself.
In the last couple of years she has become weaker due to illnesses, so I'm wondering which of the three cutters would benefit her the most. I have the GO but I'm sort of leaning more toward the GO Baby for her. I'm sure it weighs less and will be easier for her to handle and operate. I would love to hear your opinions. She is a wonderful lady and I want to help her begin to craft again. As we all know sewing/crafter is WONDERFUL therapy.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:22 PM

I'm going to send you in a different direction. I want you to email a woman named Kathy, kathy.everyday.housewife at gmail dot com. She owns every cutting system on the market and can tell you which one is the best for your situation and what the best price is. She also sells a lot of accessories for them at very good prices.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

There are many patterns that by using the precuts she won't have to cut any fabric at all.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by scrapnut View Post
Need some help from my quilt buddies. I have an elderly friend who is no longer able to move around a table to cut out sewing pieces. I have suggested that she purchase an Accuquilt so she can just sit at a table and crank out the quilt pieces. She will be able to sit at her sewing machine in her wheelchair. Our plan is to create quilts for local NICU in Oklahoma in honor of her daughter who passed away 10 years ago. Her daughter was a respiratory therapist at Children's Hospital and LOVED "her babies." Creating these quilts is something she really needs to do for herself.
In the last couple of years she has become weaker due to illnesses, so I'm wondering which of the three cutters would benefit her the most. I have the GO but I'm sort of leaning more toward the GO Baby for her. I'm sure it weighs less and will be easier for her to handle and operate. I would love to hear your opinions. She is a wonderful lady and I want to help her begin to craft again. As we all know sewing/crafter is WONDERFUL therapy.
I hate to ask a really stupid question, but if she's weak, how is she going to turn the crank? I'm fairly strong adn that bloomin' think makes me grunt every time I turn the crank.
Old 11-29-2013, 12:30 AM

my Baby GO works pretty good and is easy to use unless you really overload it. My only problem is that there aren't as many die cuts to fit. I have a good friend that has the GO, so I will borrow hers for the bigger dies. We keep track of the dies we each have so we don't buy 2 of something. This works great for us.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:20 AM

I am a strong person and some of those crank machines are just too much. Tried the Accuquilt at a show and was disappointed.

I would suggest she become an oldfashioned quilter (which worked for centuries) and use cardboard or acrylic templates and scissors. It is slower but accurate and meditative. She wont have the big outlay for a cutting system and can devote her time to complex patterns.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:26 AM

I stand to use my Go---which I love. I would suggest cutting "kits" for her if at all possible.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:40 AM

I love my GO but it is very heavy and bulky. You are a wonderful person to care to help this much. Good luck in your search. I would recommend precuts.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 AM

I love my GO but it can be hard to crank sometimes. I agree that you could cut kits for her or use pre-cuts as an alternative. Templates ok but also can be very challenging 'cause they can move around too easily !
Old 11-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

I would strongly suggest that if at all possible, she tries before she buys. I also have every manual cutting machine on the market and it may be too difficult for her to turn the handle. You get a bit more leverage when standing. There are electric versions (where the handle is turned for you, like the Sizzix Vagabond) which are pricier than the go! Sizzix machines take sizzix dies, and can accommodate go dies with a home made shim. There are also electronic (computerized) versions, but you can only cut one layer at a time.
I would use precuts and/or see if a local quilt group would be willing to cut for her.