Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice on scant 1/4" please? >

Advice on scant 1/4" please?

Advice on scant 1/4" please?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:58 AM

Default Advice on scant 1/4" please?

My blocks are always a little small. I'm sure it's because I'm sewing right up to the edge of my 1/4 inch foot. I've tried leaving a little bit of space but then I find that I'm not able to keep a consistent straight line. Any advice?. Thanks!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Banned

Does the needle on your machine mone right and left. If so, usually one click io right will give you the scant 1/4 inch you need for greater accuracy. I find you can only use quarter inch seam when sewing shapes where all sides are the same measurement, otherwise have to go to scant. Suggest you so two or three samples, measuring after each sample, adjusting the width until you have the accuracy you need. I find that any time you change a piece of a different shape it is necessary to use the scant or other width to make it fit. Also check the 1/4 inch foot it might not be accurate.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM

Just a couple of ideas - can you, or have you tried a different quarter inch foot? even a fraction of a difference can be the "fix". Also - don't know what kind of foot you're using, but if you use the kind with the stop on the side, is there a chance that is bent and needs to be fixed or replaced? If your needle position can be changed, have you tried changing the position of the needle with the foot to make the correction? Is it possible that you're expecting a leve of perfection that is not needed - I admit that I'm not as exacting as many quilters about the size of the seam - if I'm not doing points on a star, no one but me can tell if I'm not exactly where the books say I should be. My mantra is "consistency not necessarily perfection." good luck in finding your solution...and remember the galloping horse theory of piecing...if they can't see it riding by on a galloping horse, it's not a problem.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:28 AM

Oh dear! I can't sew a straight 1/4 seam ever. It was causing me too much stress for years, so I gave up striving for it and settle for "good enough." I'm astonished at the perfect seams and piecing I see at quilt shows and admire those who have mastered it. I once saw a show where a lady said that if her seam was one thread off, she'd rip it and do it over again...not in my lifetime!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Ditto what Hollice said ... adjust your needle position and run as many tests as you need to. Test with 3 strips of the same fabric you are sewing then measure the outcome.

Would like to add that different types of fabric can also make a difference. A Hoffman Asian print for example is considerably thicker than a batik. when you press your seam to one side, the Asian is going to take up more "space". The smaller the piece, the more it will make a difference.

Lastly ... I just recently started using the "vintage" guide slide. I use it because I am sewing very narrow strips and it's hard to hold them on the left side of the needle when I had a fatter foot on the machine (my 1/4" guide is a wide foot). So I switched to a narrow foot and I use the slide. I don't know why I didn't do this AGES ago as the guide is longer to the front of the foot which gives me more time/space to properly guide the fabric. I no longer get wider or narrower starts and stops.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 AM

I have a 12 inch piece of cardboard that is marked with an exact 1/4" with a medium magic marker. When I get ready to do a project, I take it to the machine that I am going to use and make sure the needle goes down to the line on the right side of the line and then I put a piece of (4 layers stuck with one on top of the other) painter's tape on the bed of my machine just a tad closer to the needle (actually on the on the left side of my medium magic marker line). That tiny amount works well. Now, as long as you make the same same seam a scant 1/4", it should be consistent throughout the entire project. Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:02 AM

I did a tutorial on this a while back. You can find it here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html

Andi
Old 11-29-2013, 10:40 AM

My 1/4 inch foot with a guide is a wide 1/4 inch so my blocks are always smaller also. As long as there is consistency and all seams are large, it hasn't been a problem I sometimes even add an extra row of the block to the top and bottom of the quilts, to make the quilt larger. The only problem I have had with it is when sewing a swatch block for a friend who needs an exact block size. Then for her block, I measure an scant 1/4 and mark my sewing bed with a piece of masking tape and sew slow.
Old 11-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Banned

also try a 3.5 card. Lines are 1/4" or even scant 1/4"

If the sections don't fit the seam needs to be adjusted It is not achieving prerfection. It is just making the puzzle pieces fit together.

All 1/4" feet are not the same. Generic feet might not be the same as brand name feet.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:10 AM

I read a blog (http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/) and she doesn't use a 1/4" foot at all. She uses a thing called The Angler 2 and uses the lines on it for her 1/4" seams. She's written a book and holds classes so it must work well for her. I used to have The Angler (not sure if it was 1 or 2) and changed to Clearly Perfect Angles and it has the same feature. I feel better with that little flange on the patchwork foot.