Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle? >

Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle?

Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle?

Old 03-14-2015, 08:00 AM

Default Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle?

So I finally got around to checking my actual 1/4" with both of my piecing feet on my Bernina and neither one of them were right without adjusting the needle position 1 click to the right. Whaaat? I got the foot with the guide recently and just assumed it would be correct ... It is a Bernina after all LoL. I had a generic plastic 1/4" foot that I used on an old Singer machine for years and it was always right. So when I got the Bernina I just assumed. Bad idea! Anyway I suspected the new foot with the guide was off after using it a few times, but the flat piecing foot too? I'm shocked. It hasn't been a problem because I haven't been trading blocks with anyone but this week I will. And now I know. So glad I checked! So what has been your experience with this issue?
Old 03-14-2015, 09:47 AM
Power Poster

On my Bernina 1230, I have to move the needle 1 click to the right to get an accurate scant 1/4". For years I had to place a post-it on my machine to remind me to move the needle! (Even now, if I haven't pieced for awhile, I need that post-it.) I've always thought the newer computerized machines should give the user the ability to default to the desired seam allowance. Do any of them do that? If-and-when my trusty 1230 bites the dust, I will certainly look for a machine with that capability!
Old 03-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

If your quarter inch foot works without adjustments, you are lucky! I have 3 machines that I piece with, "quarter inch" feet for all 3, and Ihave to adjust all 3. It does depend on your thread weight and fabric thickness.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Power Poster

​My Bernina piecing foot gives me a perfect 1/4 inch with Aurifil thread.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:29 PM

My Viking has a 'scant' needle setting which I use with a regular foot all the time with no problem. Thought I'd try the 1/4" foot w/guide specifically for this machine. NOT a scant 1/4 inch at all. Took that puppy back to the dealer. I'm sticking with my known quantity.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:55 PM
Power Poster

Am I thinking correctly that you "scant" your needle to get the inside of the seam, not the outside, to be the correct measurement? That you would put your needle in the place that it gives you the right size strip, block, piece, etc? So I would really have to sew three pieces together and measure the inside one, not the size of the actual seam?
Old 03-14-2015, 07:38 PM

That's correct, Alyce!
Old 03-15-2015, 02:49 AM

I tried a 1/4" foot, but it didn't work for me. I can't remember the exact issue, but the basic problem was that I wasn't getting 1/4" seam. I've had better luck moving my needle and using my regular foot. I haven't used very many different machines, but they're all a little different and it's probably something that needs to be played with on any new machine.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Am I thinking correctly that you "scant" your needle to get the inside of the seam, not the outside, to be the correct measurement? That you would put your needle in the place that it gives you the right size strip, block, piece, etc? So I would really have to sew three pieces together and measure the inside one, not the size of the actual seam?
That is the idea!

The size of the piece BETWEEN the seams is what matters.
Old 03-15-2015, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

double post