Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle? >

Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle?

Do you ALWAYS have to "scant" your needle?

Old 03-15-2015, 04:38 AM

I use my old Viking D1 and since everything is "scant 1/4" I programmed it and put it in my "favorites" so just go there when I turn my machine on, click on my programmed stitch and the way I go. This machine is 15 years old so I'm sure the newer ones have a way to program the special stitch and save it to the machine. I also use my edge foot instead of my 1/4" to help me keep the edge of the fabric where it needs to be. My hands tremor a lot so need all the help I can get.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:13 AM

What possible difference does it make what your ¼" foot sews or what the seam allowance is...scant, quarter, or something else? The only thing that matters is what's between the seams and that's a moving target depending on the threads (top and bottom) and fabrics (top and bottom) being used at the time of measurement.

Why are we so obsessed with how big the parts that get buried inside our quilts are and all but ignore the size of the parts that show on top?
Old 03-15-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

If I want a SCANT, then yes, I move the position over 1 setting. But I seldom need to sew a scant 1/4" seam. I have a Bernina 1530. I also have layers of painter tape for a guide for an accurate 1/4" seam.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
What possible difference does it make what your ¼" foot sews or what the seam allowance is...scant, quarter, or something else? The only thing that matters is what's between the seams and that's a moving target depending on the threads (top and bottom) and fabrics (top and bottom) being used at the time of measurement.

Why are we so obsessed with how big the parts that get buried inside our quilts are and all but ignore the size of the parts that show on top?
To me, it matters when I quilt a sampler quilt and the finished blocks have to match in size. I have a Pfaff Passport whose 1/4" is perfect and I have a Bernina 830 whose 1/4" is not. Frustrating! I took two excellent classes at the Lancaster AQS Quilt Show last week (Cindy Needham FMQ and Donna Lynn Thomas Feathered Star)and Donna said that each time you quilt you should be doing a sample to check for 1/4" accuracy. Take three 1 1/2" x 5-6" rectangles and sew them together with 1/4" seam allowances and then measure the middle strip and it should measure 1" wide. If not, you will need to adjust before doing your piecing.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:02 PM

Exactly, but what matters is the inside measurement, not the seam allowance. That's all I was trying to say. Measure with every project (or every time you change the threads/fabrics) and you'll always be accurate no matter what foot you use.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:25 AM

My Janome allows me to store the correct setting in memory and make that the default but I still have to reset when I change to the 1/4" accufeed foot. Have had "heated" discussions with other quilters who insist that the factory setting on their machines is accurate without even checking.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:10 AM
Power Poster

None of my machines allow the needle to be moved. I make a 1/4" seam and it works. Consistency is the important thing to me.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Exactly, but what matters is the inside measurement, not the seam allowance. That's all I was trying to say. Measure with every project (or every time you change the threads/fabrics) and you'll always be accurate no matter what foot you use.
I agree totally. The quarter inch seam is a misnomer because you really don't care about the seam, you care about the resultant patch. It's also a moving target, depending on the thread and fabric combo you use. I'd rather spend 2 minutes at the beginning of each project to determine my needle setting and have everything fit together rather than fighting to get stuff to fit.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:04 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I've always thought the newer computerized machines should give the user the ability to default to the desired seam allowance. Do any of them do that?
Yes! My Janome 6600 has that feature, I love it. I don't get a good 1/4" without adjusting, but now that adjustment is my default. I have to remember to re-center the needle if I want to do other sewing.

Originally Posted by Brandonsnana View Post
My Janome allows me to store the correct setting in memory and make that the default but I still have to reset when I change to the 1/4" accufeed foot.
Yep, same here.

I have a 1961 Singer "Rocketeer" that has a perfect scant 1/4" seam with its quarter-inch foot. I think that's the only machine I have that doesn't require adjustment to get that. The foot is an after-market foot, even.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:36 AM

I bought my Brother PQ1500s for FMQing, or any quilting, for that matter and I have many other machines to piece with, but I now find that getting a perfect 1/4" seam is so easy with my 1500, that I am doing almost all of my piecing on it too.