Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: AccuQuilt Rag Square Die

Has anyone used this die? http://www.accuquilt.com/GO-Rag-Square-8-12--P3044.aspx. I bought it so I could make rag quilts for my granddaughters, but now that I'm reading the reviews (a little too late), I wonder if it was a mistake to buy it.

If you have it and have used it, do you have any tips for me?

Blog Entries
    I thought about it at one point, then read the reviews and decided I could live without it.

some one posted they had used that die yesterday

You caused me some alarm because that's probably the first die I want to buy when I finally get my GO cutter that is on back order. I want the 5-1/4" rag die, not the bigger one. Anyhow, I just read the reviews and someone stated that it works well with woven fabric, but not flannel. Woven fabric is what I'll be cutting, so I'm going to buy the rag die. Glad you brought up the subject.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I just bought this at joannes for a great price with all the discounts and coupons. I do have the smaller one and what I found to be helpful was lay a single phonebook page or newspaper on the die first then lay fabric then mat before you run it thru the machine. Cuts down on all the stuck threads in the die.

I've used it to cut flannel -= just don't do more than two layers.

Thank you for the input, everyone! I will be using two layers of flannel and the top layer will be cotton, so I really appreciate the tips on using newspaper and no more than two layers of flannel.

Blog Entries
    I bought the large rag die, used it once and haven't used it again (and probably won't). To me it was easier to snip the fabric with scissors after the quilt was done than try to clean the die with a dental pick after cutting 2 to 4 squares (2 at a time). Haven't tried using newspaper, but might try it.

Blog Entries
    I use it. I use homespun fabric and flannel. Both work fine. I put a piece of thin paper over the die to keep all the threads from getting it it. I spray Static Guard on the cutting mat and that helps a lot.