Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt technical question >

Accuquilt technical question

Accuquilt technical question

Old 07-06-2014, 01:22 PM

Question Accuquilt technical question

I am probably learning disabled, but I'm obviously not getting "it" from the youtube videos....

All the blocks seem to be on the dies at an angle. The video states to load with the long side of the grain, but then they seem to turn the fabric to the same angle as the die - is that right, or should the fabric be straight and the die at an angle?

I tried the Ohio star and I'm getting stretching going straight......
Old 07-06-2014, 02:36 PM

The fabric should be straight and only the die at an angle. Could you try using Best Press or starch before you cut the Ohio Star? I've only used rectangular dies so far.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:31 PM

A couple tutorials I watched showed a plain white piece of copier paper on top of the fabric to prevent the stretching.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Power Poster

you line the grain of the fabric up with the BLADE of the die. Some of the dies are set at an angle to the die block (plastic backing), some are parallel. Doesn't matter how they are mounted on the backing, just keep the fabric grain parallel with the blade. Also, treat your fabric the same way you would if you were using a rotary cutter: press carefully first and starch is always a good idea.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:55 PM

Guess I have been lucky - there has been no stretching when I put the dies thru. But I did check a couple of their videos and it did say you should send it thru with the straight of grain for best results. And I do use a light spray of Best Press because of what I read on QB not from Accuquilt.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:06 PM

So does the selvage go across the top of the die and load first? Or does the selvage go along the side of the die/blade? So far, I haven't gad any stretching, but I do starch the fabric well before cutting.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:58 PM

I have not experienced any stretching of my fabric during the cutting process. Just make sure you are matching up the pieces before stitching, maybe place a pin the middle of the piece to hold it in place and check the setting on your machine to make sure that it is set for the type of fabric you are using. Happy sewing and you will love your cutter more and more as you use it.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:36 PM

The selvage should go along the side.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:45 PM
Power Poster

According to the FAQ on the Accuquilt website, when the blades are at an angle you need to angle your fabric -- so the fabric is supposed to be lined up with the die blades.

Selvedges would be along the side of the die (not at the top).

Coffee filters from the Dollar Store on top of your fabric are a cheap way to use paper to stabilize the cut.

Starching the fabric before cutting will help too.
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 AM

Thanks all. Quarter square triangles are challenging enough to me, let alone having them get stretchy when I sew. Aligned with the blade I'll try today!