Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: adding machine quilting after binding is on???

IQ2

adding machine quilting after binding is on???

I have one of my very first quilts from 3 years ago already bound, but it needs more quilting and would be a good first try at FMQ. I'm thinking that I should remove the binding before doing more quilting and then re-bind once it's done. I'd love to hear from more experienced quilters on the pros and cons of adding quilting to a bound quilt. Thanks

Blog Entries
    I would just quilt it as is. You can always take the binding off after you are done quilting, if it comes out rippled or skewed.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

If you have enough quilting done to stabilize the quilt, I would not remove the binding.

I recently had to add more quilting, and I didn't take off the binding. But, I've only done it that once. It turned out fine.
    Alyce

I am so glad you asked that question. I had been thinking about adding more quilting to some of my first quilts. Now, I think that I will. Thanks!

I did it to one of my earlier quilts, it was fine. Go forth.. quilt!

Blog Entries
    It's your quilt. I would just proceed since you've already done some quilting on it.

Blog Entries
    I've never had a medium size FMQ take up any of the backing. I did have a little on a very closely meandered wall hanging. So if you are using a normal size FMQ, you should be fine.

I've also been thinking about adding more quilting to one of of my earlier quilts, but I'm definitely not taking the binding off. My problem is that I like the quilt (it's a lap quilt) and I wonder if I will like it as much after I add more quilting - will its personality change? Will it be for the better?

IQ2
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I've also been thinking about adding more quilting to one of of my earlier quilts, but I'm definitely not taking the binding off. My problem is that I like the quilt (it's a lap quilt) and I wonder if I will like it as much after I add more quilting - will its personality change? Will it be for the better?
    Well that's one of my fears also, but I am going to take all of the wonderful advice I received here and go for it (WITHOUT removing the binding!). Yes, your quilt's personality will probably change...I'm sure for the better.

Thanks everyone for your great advice and encouragement.