Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice Needed on Basting Quilt >

Advice Needed on Basting Quilt

Advice Needed on Basting Quilt

Old 04-12-2015, 12:53 PM

Default Advice Needed on Basting Quilt

Hi Everyone! I am mainly a "lurker" on the QB and have only posted a couple of times. I learn something new from the fine and friendly folks on this Board nearly every time I check in and that is why I've come to you for advice.

The attached photos are of my third quilt. The first two were quilt-as-you-go, but this one is done traditionally. The pattern is Boxed Cubes which I found on the internet. The quilt top fabrics are cottons and light weight denim. The quilt back is corduroy and light weight denim. My question is about basting the quilt sandwich. I'm leaning towards glue basting with Elmer's Washable School Glue. Since I've never used this method (or any other for that matter) and on such a large quilt (90" x 90") I'm wondering if you folks think this method will work. I've done research on the Web and read a lot of the glue basting tutorials here at QB, but I'd like to hear your personal experiences -- good and bad. I look forward to your suggestions and helpful hints on using glue or other quilt basting methods that you have used. Thank you so much, in advance, for your time and responses.
Attached Thumbnails lpk-quilt-top.jpg   lpk-quilt-back.jpg  
Old 04-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

Nice square in a square quilt. There have been a few posts that quilters have had with basting with Elmer's glue, so you might want to do an advance search to read those posts so you can avoid those problems. I have quilted over 25 years and I am set in my ways. I pin baste usually using the classroom at a LQS. Makes for a fun outing. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

Great quilt and back! I have not glue basted so I can't comment on that. For quilting, I would suggest using a batt that allows for 10 inches between lines. I would use my walking foot to Stitch In The Ditch along all the big squares in a grid pattern. Since the fabrics are fairly thick, minimal quilting will be easier.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:44 PM

I spray baste, not glue so can't help but just wanted to say I love your quilt!!!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:14 PM

Wow! Very pretty quilt, bet it's heavy with the denim and corduroy, but I guess ya'll need that up there! LOL! I like spray basting, but it gets expensive. So I mostly use the elmers glue now, make sure it's the washable one. What I do is water it down to about half water, half glue, I heat the water in the microwave so it kind of melts the glue and makes it much easier to squeeze out. Bout killed my hands when I first tried it full strength! Anyway, I have a spare room, so I spread my backing first, then batting, fold back half of the batting, put glue on the batting, smooth down, repeat other half, I turn on ceiling fan, let dry a few hours, then put top on and do the same, always put glue on batting, then I let mine dry overnight. Some say they iron to speed drying. Good Luck, show us when done ok!
Old 04-12-2015, 04:16 PM

I haven't made such a big one, but as a user of Elmer's, I can warn you not to use any other brand. I don't know what made me think I was saving money by purchasing an off brand, but after a few weeks, even though it had dried, it turned brown! I haven't yet tried to wash it out.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
I haven't made such a big one, but as a user of Elmer's, I can warn you not to use any other brand. I don't know what made me think I was saving money by purchasing an off brand, but after a few weeks, even though it had dried, it turned brown! I haven't yet tried to wash it out.
I also had some that turned brown. Was probably an off brand also. But it washed out just fine. It had been on the quilt for a few months.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:41 PM

I use glue all the time and love how easy it is, even for the big ones. I lay out my batting first and then position the top over the batting....then fold back 1/2 of the top and put down thin lines of glue (straight from the bottle, full strength) about 3-4" apart.....then smooth the top back into place and pat down well....depending on the batting and where you are basting, some will use the iron to speed the glue drying process....if I air dry the glue, I usually let it set for at least an hour before I move the sandwich and do the other half.....then I flip the top/batting and put down more glue onto the batting and smooth on the backing....ALWAYS put the glue onto the batting and smooth the fabric onto batting....that way you can see any wrinkles/tucks/issues and fix easily before drying ever starts....I had one sandwich that sat for a while and the glue did turn brown, but it washed out with a long gentle warm water wash, with no staining.....just make sure you get washable school glue.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:48 PM

I am working on a queen size now. I have my front as a whole, batting in 3 sections and the backing as a whole. I sandwich using spray basting with the batting in the center section. I quilt that section then attach one of the side pieces of batting to the center piece of batting with a zig zag stitch. I then quilt that section from the center section out having the bulk of the quilt to the left side of the machine. I will then attach the last section and proceed to quilt from the center section out having the bulk section to the left of the machine.<o></o>
Old 04-12-2015, 07:30 PM

I've not glue basted. But I think part of the equation should be how you intend to quilt it? Machine quilting? Hand quilting? I'm guessing machine. How long before you quilt this? I don't know how glue/time play together. Do you have (or have access to) a large table/area to do the glue basting? As I say, having not done it, don't know specifics. I don't know if this is something easily accomplished in a small area? Good luck. It's a pretty quilt.