Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alternative to the BSR?? >

Alternative to the BSR??

Alternative to the BSR??

Old 10-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Hi,

I've been at this hobby for a year now. I've been using a Brother 420-PRW for my piecing and I sent out a couple quilts to get finished by the incomparable Charisma.

But I've been thinking I should give this FMQ thing the effort it deserves. I'm extremely fortunate that I have a good career that allows to afford a new machine. So I started looking at machines, longarms, midarms, etc. I love the idea of a stitch regulator. But, I really really don't have the space for a longarm and a frame. We've recently moved back to my home town to take care of my father and space is a premium.

Looking at how regulators work, with two sensors mounted to a frame, requires a frame. Then I started looking at the Bernina and the BSR. It's like a reverse laser mouse for your computer. Instead of moving the cursor on your PC, it moves the needle when motion triggers it.

So this all leads me to my question. Is there another setup that uses a stitch regulator lsimilar to the BSR? Or does Bernina have the corner on the market for this type of technology?

The HQ Sweet 16 sitdown looks like a great machine, but there's no regulator available. And I'm guessing that's because there's no place to put the sensors like on a frame.

Sorry for my rant. Thanks for reading. =)
Old 10-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Bernina, as far as I know, actually has a pretty good patent on it. I know that other companies have come up with other techniques (Husqvarna has or had a system that was like a tray you'd put over your machine that would hook into a sensor, but using it I found it awkward at best and utterly unusable at worst, and you could only go so far without having to move your quilt with some serious difficulty.)

What you might look into doing is taking a class on using a store's longarm. More and more often, you can take a $200ish class, and then rent out their longarm for a reasonable rate. That at least will give you the opportunity to find out how much you really like it.

The BSR is ... okay... for what it does (it has a lot of problems with red fabrics and plain fabrics), but it's far from perfect.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM

If you want to drive several hours, you can check out my shop. We have Bernina and Gammill. We can really help you out. We have a great B&B a few steps from our shop. You can get a complete Gammill 18" w/stitch regulator for $8995. You can get the Bernina 830 limited edition 12" for just a little more. . Good luck in your search!
Old 10-13-2011, 01:46 PM

I would love to have the HQ 16 sit down model. Really if you practice a lot, you will find the BSR more of a hindrance than a help! Or at least I did! I tend to move too fast for the sensors!
Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM

I have a dear friend that 'had to have' the BSR Bernina, ended up not liking it at all....I use my simple Bernina 840 for all my free motion...and am very happy....recently got a Flynn frame and for the large pieces I do I am very happy. May I suggest you make something small, a banner, wall quilt, table runner....and then try FMQ on it with your standard machine, just drop your feedogs....and away you go....it is a eye/hand/foot issue...so it will take some time, just do some simple stippleing.....I have found that you want the machine to go pretty fast and your hand medium to medium slow.....may I also suggest to go to the John Flynn website www.flynnquilt.com and watch him with his frame....just because you can afford a new machine does not mean you need a new machine....If I had the space and money I would consider a long arm machine....but I would have to think about 'how much will I really use it' as compared to even renting time on a machine at a quilt shop.
Just my two cents for the day
Old 10-13-2011, 03:09 PM

Thank you all. Some very good advice. I appreciate it!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM

I had the BSR and didn't like it. It got really pissy randomly. ecmoore mentioned issues with red fabric... I had issues with pretty much anything. I learned to quilt with the BSR off. It takes getting used to, but I prefer quilting on my small machine without a stitch regulator. What I do like about my Bernina is she has a foot pedal free option. So I turn my machine sideways, press the "go" button, and stitch away sans non-me stitch regulation.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees
I have a dear friend that 'had to have' the BSR Bernina, ended up not liking it at all....I use my simple Bernina 840 for all my free motion...and am very happy....recently got a Flynn frame and for the large pieces I do I am very happy. May I suggest you make something small, a banner, wall quilt, table runner....and then try FMQ on it with your standard machine, just drop your feedogs....and away you go....it is a eye/hand/foot issue...so it will take some time, just do some simple stippleing.....I have found that you want the machine to go pretty fast and your hand medium to medium slow.....may I also suggest to go to the John Flynn website www.flynnquilt.com and watch him with his frame....just because you can afford a new machine does not mean you need a new machine....If I had the space and money I would consider a long arm machine....but I would have to think about 'how much will I really use it' as compared to even renting time on a machine at a quilt shop.
Just my two cents for the day
Love my Flynn frame system. Made such a bigger difference than the BSR
Old 10-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by OCQuilts
If you want to drive several hours, you can check out my shop. We have Bernina and Gammill. We can really help you out. We have a great B&B a few steps from our shop. You can get a complete Gammill 18" w/stitch regulator for $8995. You can get the Bernina 830 limited edition 12" for just a little more. . Good luck in your search!
I'm very glad this thread started. Now I know about you and I'll be visiting for sure! I'm about 60 miles up river from you. :thumbup:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 PM

I have a babylock espire and stitches come out great, you do not need one IMHO, an extra expense for something you can accomplish cheaper.